Roon for Linux [done in 1.2]

Recently, I’ve been pondering doing away with NAS’s altogether and just building a liinux file server / roon core. To me, one box which can serve both is better than having two separate entities. That way I can put in a good quad core i7, 16 GB of RAM and RAID a bunch of TB SSDs, run linux Roon Server and be done with it.

the DSx15+ series is their best line it seems. That said, I wouldn’t run an Atom for my library. The Atom CPUs have very bad CPU cache, which has a big impact on performance. If you have 1000 albums or so, nothing really matters, but many users have 10k+ albums, and I wouldn’t run that size of library on an Atom.

I wouldn’t either. But as my humble collection is a factor smaller (and not expanding very fast anymore due to Tidal)…
:sunglasses:

A core i7 will be pushing 60w at idle.

What you’re suggesting would be quite expensive and is overkill for file serving, and Roon.

[quote=“Rugby, post:101, topic:2116, full:true”]
Recently, I’ve been pondering doing away with NAS’s altogether and just building a liinux file server / roon core. To me, one box which can serve both is better than having two separate entities. That way I can put in a good quad core i7, 16 GB of RAM and RAID a bunch of TB SSDs, run linux Roon Server and be done with it.
[/quote]That’s pretty much where I’m at - dedicated i3 with 16GB ram running Arch. Its only purpose in life is to serve audio. Roon’s Linux based server will live on the same machine, just like LMS did before it.

Yep. That’s the conclusion I reached for my SlimServer (or Squeezebox or Logitech or whatever) server a few years back.

I wanted better bandwidth between the music server software and the files, but more importantly I wanted to take better control over the resilience of the music library data in the face of disk rot - so I set up a Linux server using ZFS for the big volume of music data, and of course for ZFS to really live up to its potential for data security it should be running on a system with ECC memory. So the music library is in a ZFS pool on a Linux server with Xeon processor and ECC RAM. And it actually has unnecessarily much RAM, because I was considering playing around with ZFS deduplication.

It’d be lovely to run RoonServer right there on that box - which is generously specified for the job, and also already exists and is already on 24/7.

RoonServer treats the actual music files as strictly read-only, right?

Yes, RoonServer does not touch the actual files unless you use an “organized folder” which I never suggest anyone use.

[quote=“Jeffrey_Moore, post:106, topic:2116”]
RoonServer treats the actual music files as strictly read-only, right?
[/quote]That’s correct for Roon watched folders, but not for Roon orgainised.

1 Like

You can have Roon delete files… To prevent mishaps Roon will only have Read access.

Is this true, and true even for “watched folders” rather than “organized folders”? And on delete does Roon reach out and delete the underlying file, rather than only mark it gone in the database?

I suppose that whatever Roon’s behavior, the sensible thing for me to do to avoid having to have a further thought about this issue would be to make sure the files in question are read-only to the user RoonServer is running as.

1 Like

It deletes the audio files. There has been some alpha discussion about this and a suggestion that Roon should move files to a Roon user specified “Recycle Bin” that sits out side of a watched folder. A user can then review the bin and clear it.

This also touches on User profile securities and party mode options.

@mike…just flagging this fyi

1 Like

Any time the word ‘delete’ pops up in Roon I get scared. Could Roon not just flag the files as not required in the library, rather than physically delete them?

Do people actually delete their audio files regularly? I never delete anything even if I don’t like it. If I bought it, I just keep it around in case things change.

I suppose if there was a corrupted file or whatever, then that would be a delete scenario, but I would have thought deleting was a bad thing in any other case - especially in a multi-user environment - as one user could delete files that another user listens to?

1 Like

Duplicate/partial/crap mp3s from years ago… with 10k+ unique albums, I have a lot of cruft over the years.

I did a double-take at the word albums!!!

How is this even possible? Once again I feel like a lesser mortal. :smile:

we’ve seen users with 500k+ tracks, you can do the math for # of albums

we’ve seen 35k+ albums in the Sooloos days – but that person was president of a major record label!

I think out of 10k, I only care about 3000 albums. With TIDAL, I have been “owning” less, and “adding to library” more :grin:

1 Like

I built the Intel NUC5i5RYH, 16gb RAM, and a Samsung SM951 128gb M.2 NVMe on Windows 10 Home for the Roon core. File store is on the Synology DS1815+. It’s ~5k albums, 50k tracks.

Output is to an Auralic Aries with v3.0 RoonReady, and 2 Airport Express devices. I’ll probably try the Sonore uRendu or Sonic Orbiter at some point.

So far I’m happy with where it is now, very nice platform, still learning.

1 Like

@Tom_Schmidt – that is indeed a really sweet system for Roon.

Any update with the release date for the linux version?

No date yet, but we are almost there…

My hands are getting itchy in expectation