Roon Glacially slow - fix (sort of)

I have a largish library, 153191 tracks and my system is really slow. I had my system on a Sonicorbiter i9 (1st gen) with both Roon and my music on the internal SSD. I moved the music off to a Synology NAS and that actually helped a little. Then I tried to move my core to my Mac Studio M1 and that was about a push. Then I disconnected Qobuz and bingo my system was quick and responsive again. I reconnected Qobuz and deleted all the Qobuz items in my library (I had quite a few) and that didn’t help much. So it looks like Qobuz through Roon is out. I am currently listening to Qobuz through my dCS Mosaic software. Is this solvable or is it just the nature of the Qobuz API and all that data that has to populate Roon?

You need to describe “slow”. What is slow.

Is Qobuz your only streaming provider? When you sign out of Qobuz does your entire library become “local”?

This sounds more like an Internet latency issue… that is, how quickly you can move data between your Server and Roon’s cloud services. Who is your ISP? Is it coax, fiber, copper, fixed wireless, ? Where in the world are you?

1 Like

Yes Qobuz is my only streamer. Without Qobuz everything is local from the NAS. I have Cox gigabit ethernet and all is wired (NAS, Roon Core, Vivaldi streamer.) I am in the Great Plains. Slow means watching the pulsing Roon log for up to 30 seconds, slow is album art not populating fast enough so I see gray boxes or big voids in my album list. Slow is the album list jumping around as albums are still being slowly populated above my scroll location. And I also had problems with the core rebooting (both on my Mac and the SO i9) during playback. All seems to have stopped with Qobuz disconnected.

1 Like

What are your DNS settings?
There are multiple threads suggesting that DNS settings can affect Roon + Qobuz performance. Using Google (8.8.8.8) or Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) as DNS has been reported to improve performance.

I was using OpenDNS servers. I will try Google or cloud flare.

Anecdotally people in certain parts of the world using Qobuz with Roon seem to be having performance issues these days. There are lots of reports around the forums like this.

1 Like

Assuming your qobuz account is in the country you are accessing it from. That said seldom any issue for me and I’m in Singapore but my account is USA, but yes dns setting do play a big part

This is also something that @Simon_Arnold3 reported in another thread when he set up a brand new test account to test some of the new fixes.
Everything was working perfectly and he added Qobuz back into the mix and his remotes started to freeze and Roon started to become soon.
I have tagged him on this to see if he can add some context.

2 Likes

I can concur that if I add Qobuz ( or Tidal) things go downhill quickly. Remotes freeze etc.

Remove Qobuz, reboot and all good again.

Well

I then had Roon Radio playing for over an hour and when I opened my app on my phone it proceeded to try and catch up on itself and all the tracks it had played in that time.

For a near almost bug feee experience I am now running 1.8 again.

2 Likes

Wasn’t slow but I don’t have any favourites. It just caused the remotes to hang. Library didn’t slow down at all.

1 Like

I am adding my own voice for this problem.

Basically I can no longer use Qobuz, any click on an artist or its discography takes 10-30 sec to display anything meaningful, preventing any browsing, even for just looking at information about I am listening.

Disabling Qobuz (where I maintain only few favourites albums) and the experience becomes smooth again.

Reenabling Qobuz and the user experience degrades very quickly.

So basically either I listen to my 4700+ album library or suffer browsing to discover new artists.

1 Like

I feel others’ concern. Qobuz slows my Roon down significantly as well. If I disable it, it is lightning fast with no pulsing pauses. With Qobuz enabled, it takes usually 6-30 seconds to load tracks or pages. Sometimes I just can wait for minutes before giving up and walking to the racks and listening to the CDs. I wired my connection and installed an SSD to try and fix it. It did speed up parts of it, but now I think I need to buy a new modem? A lot of expenditure for one software.

Thankfully ARC doesn’t have the same issues and is usually really fast when I am at the office.