Roon + HQPlayer and ability to select NAA

Hi, with the integration of Roon and HQPlayer working and sounding so amazing, I wonder if there are plans to implement the ability to select the NAA HQPlayer streams to from within Roon. This way, the great sound quality of HQPlayer can be enjoyed anywhere - all from the great Roon interface.

I think that ability already exists. I’m running HQPlayer and Roon on a Windows 10 PC in my office, up sampling and converting files pulled from a NAS and then sending them to a MacBook I’m using as an NAA in my listening room, and I’m using an iPad with Roon remote that controls my PC to choose the output zone (the NAA) and the stream diagram in Roon reflects the entire signal chain from the NAS all the way to my DAC (although it doesn’t show the iPad I’m using to control it).

There is a bit of a lag when I first select a new song before it starts and the previous one stops, maybe 2-3 seconds, but the rest works terrifically.

Yes, HQPlayer can be set to output to a NAA. I was asking as a feature request the ability to select a particular NAA from Roon if there are multiple NAA’s on my network. I don’t think that’s currently doable, right?

Given that you have to first tell HQPlayer which NAA to use, I’m pretty sure you can’t when using Roon with HQP. But Roon may, as soon as the renamed RoonSpeakers is released by able to do that with its own NAAs.

You are correct @hammer. We can’t currently select from a choice of NAAs within Roon.

The ability to do so would certainly be useful for those with multiple NAAs. In addition being able to control filters, modulators and PCM/SDM output in Roon would be cool to.

I suspect that if we saw a level of integration between Roon and HQP which covered those things, then we might also see HQP sending the processed stream back to Roon for it to distribute.

Unfortunately @sdolezalek RoonSpeakers won’t enable us to distribute audio streams from HQP. The NAA will remain as the multi-room solution for post-HQP audio streams. We will, of course, be able to distribute non-HQP audio streams to other zones using RAAT (RoonReady or RoonSpeakers), which is good enough for the rest of the family … :grinning:

+1! For all of this

Robert

I’ve been doing some rearranging because of a computer that is out for service and I discovered another possibility for how roon could switch modes in HQplayer.

Basically I have three systems currently being run by a single computer with both Roon and HQplayer installed.

1. Local (Core Audio) IFI micro iDAC connected via USB to the Mac
  2. NAA (Cubox-i) IFI micro iDSD connected via USB to the Cubox-i
  3. NAA (Sonore Sonicorbiter SE) Auralic Vega connected via USB to the Sonicorbiter SE

The settings (preferences) in HQ player are different for all three set ups…actually quite complicated. I simply exported the settings for each one and when I switch in HQ player just import the settings for that configuration. The exported file is .xml. Currently I switch between settings files using screen sharing to this mac from another mac, or teamviewer from my android tablet. It would be ideal if this switch could be made from roon instead.

In each case the settings in Roon are the same…just send the files to HQplayer on this particular machine defined by its IP address. If roon could simply have a drop down in the audio settings dialog box (the pop-up box that shows the active zones) that allowed you to select a .xml settings file for hqplayer, that’s all you would need. This would keep the interface simple and only power users would need mess with it.

Robert