Roon Import Settings - Only file

Hello!
How to completely prohibit Roon from taking any metadata from the cloud for the user’s local data and use only metadata explicitly specified by the user?
I have already solved the issue with the years of albums, through an artificial trick: I wrote %original year%=%year% and finally completely got rid of “dd-mm”, and also told Roon to use “original release date”.
But there is still a lot of additional garbage information: composers (not for classical music), labels, etc., which I did not indicate at all and which I do not need at all and categorically do not want to see.
It is absolutely unclear to me why there is any need to register additional metadata that the user does not explicitly specify and which he does not need at all???
To understand the essence of the problem, I would like to remind you of a well-known historical principle (“Occam’s razor”): © William of Ockham “Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem” (lat)!
Thank you for your understanding and I hope I conveyed the essence of the problem to you.
“More” is not always “better”!

Ultimately, I’m not sure this would be possible as the whole purpose of Roon is to bring “all your music together and adds tons of data – bios, reviews, photos, lyrics, tour dates, and cross-linked credits for performers, songwriters, producers, engineers, and composers.” As such, you’re fighting against the current if you want to block all metadata.

All you can do is set your import settings in ‘Settings → Library → Import settings’ to ‘Prefer file’ and set the Genre settings to not use Roon’s metadata.

As mentioned above, this is the whole purpose of Roon - “Roon identifies your music files and streams, and then overlays a ton of rich metadata to add context to what you’re listening to. That information drives Roon’s unique experience of browsing, discovering, and organizing music.”

FYI, Occam’s razor is more commonly applied to formulating explanations, so I’m not sure how it’s relevant in this context.

2 Likes

Most users use Roon because it does what it does. If you don’t like what Roon does, it may not be the product for you?

4 Likes

Okay, let’s start from the beginning.

Question: what is the main competitive advantage of Roon in the market of media catalogers (which also have a built-in DSP) compared to your competitors?
My answer is to use a competent and high-quality client-server architecture using the excellent RAAT protocol, which has no analogues on the market.

Question: how is it correct, rational and most optimal to provide additional information to the consumer about his music content?
By embedding additional “castrated” blocks of such information directly into Roon itself, or by providing links to external resources (with appropriate requests)?
My answer is: of course, the right choice is the second option! At the same time, no cloud servers or maintenance costs are required at all.
Since everyone should only do their own thing: TiVo, Wikipedia and Discogs - the professional provision of such additional information, and Roon perform its main function as a media cataloger.
A specific example: after all, in order to watch videos, almost none of the professional developers of web sites embed them directly into their own site, but only use the appropriate links to external resources (Youtube, Yandex, etc.)

Therefore, in my opinion, it would be absolutely logical to use in configuring the import of client data not only the possibility of choosing: Prefer Roon, Prefer File (where a mixed algorithm from client metadata and metadata from the cloud is implemented), but also the third column - Only File (where metadata is used, only explicitly specified by the user himself).
And the statement that then Roon will not be able to work correctly with the local data of the subscriber does not correspond to reality!

Note:
About three years earlier, I personally, like many Roon users, wrote about the need to complement Roon with the ability to use direct access to folders and files!
Then I received a response from technical support: never and under no circumstances!
A few days ago, we all witnessed that Roonlabs still provided users with such an opportunity!?

Therefore, a kind and free advice: “don’t step on the same rake twice.”

P.S If Roonlabs really wants to make the RAAT protocol an industry standard for the mass consumer, it would also be nice to release a cheap limited version of Roon just for playing through local data! And then just compare how many users will purchase the full version or the limited version!
I can only assume that this ratio will be at least 10:1.

That’s it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.