Roon in different location

I’ve read a few threads about people trying to move Roon between two houses or work and home. That is no my goal. I have a limited Internet connection at my house and am wondering if I can take my Core (NUC running ROCK) to a friends house with fast, broadband and let the NUC get an IP address then connect my phone as remote and tell it to update. No interest in playing music. Just the basic nuts and bolts of roon to get it updated successfully.

Figured if anyone has given it a try it is the guys/gals in the Tinkering section.

Thanks!

Can’t see any reason this shouldn’t work assuming your phone is connected to his wi-fi network as well.

1 Like

That is what I am thinking. NUC via Cat 5 to their network…gets IP address. My phone/remote via their gets IP address on same network. Log in if necessary with my account. Go to Settings | About to start the update.

Was not sure what, it anything, Roon was doing behind the scenes to discourage moving them around versus buying another license. I just want to get my update finished.

Thanks!

Will work fine as long as you have your NUC set to DHCP

1 Like

Just a follow-up for anyone reading this down the line. Works exactly like I thought. Took less than 5 minutes for a laptop, phone and tablet to all see the hardwired Rock via Wi-Fi.

Updated just about as fast

Glad to hear you worked out your update problems.

1 Like