Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Hi the resolution of my issue by turning off Gsync for windowed apps was short lived.
Roon has updated again since then and so has my Nvidia 4090 drivers since then.

I have spent about half an hour trying all sorts of things including changing OGL Nvidia App 3D settings and compatibility mode settings and what finally fixed it for me is setting Roon to run as Administrator. No more stuck screen after minimise. Hope that helps others until Roon sort out this mess.

Reporting in as well. I have Roon freezing and crashing on Windows a lot.

It crashes when in the background. Minimized. Maximized on another display. All different scenarios.

some kind of a solution or a nice workaround …
since i have new logitech mouse and keyboard there is very handy way over the options to install a gesture to change the desktop. So roon runs full screen, alone on a second desktop. The rest what i do is on the main desktop.
The other plus is the play/pause button on the kayboard works even when roon is not the active window. So i can play/pause even form the main desktop. Unfortunately the volume up/down buttons don’t work if roon streams over network, because they effect only sondcard-devices.

1 Like

My Dell Roon control just locked up, then crashed.

Bump.

Would love an update on this.

It’s really annoying and it’s been going on for nearly a year.

3 Likes

Yes, me as well. This issue + Roon skipping songs (I’ve opened a separate topic) just doesn’t feel nice for software I very recently spent a lot of money on (lifetime).

I hope things will get more stable and issues solved.

Is it only me having the feeling 99% the dev capacity is now going into ARC :roll_eyes: :woozy_face:

4 Likes

Roon is still crashing, i can skip to the next song via my keyboard though the roon window is frozen/crashed on win 10 pc, doesn’t matter what size window . My subscription is up for renewal in 12 days days. I’m not going to renew.

Support is nonexistent, you’d think some one from roon would of contacted me or others having this issue.

I’m using the tidal/deezer apps app without an issue.

astalavista roon , big middle finger emoji

1 Like

Yeah, it is really frustrating. What I do now (because I have the option to) is keep Roon open on a 3rd display…

As soon as I minimize it is over and done. Most of the times it does not even recover after a long freeze and it quits.

2 Likes

So… I switched from Linux Mint to “ROCK” and problem is gone.
Looks like Roon OS is doing the job.

Kind of weird? Roon on the desktop freezes because you were running Roon server on your own Linux installation? Everything is possible I guess. I have Roon server running on Linux as well (Ubuntu).

2 Likes

Looks like. For me it sounds like some processes stops responding when server runs on other OS.
And ROCK seem to be really well optimised for the job.

I am having the same problem here - freezing/crashing upon maximizing window after a period of time. Running Windows 10 with latest updates and graphics card driver updates. Seems to be getting worse the past few weeks.

Can you share some information on your Roon core?

I am running my Roon core on a Windows 10 PC. It is an Intel i7-6700HQ processor, 12 GB of RAM, 200 GB SSD, NVIDIA GTX965M video, using a wired ethernet connection for network.

Thanks.

@Gracjan_Deresz not sure if we should associate it with core running on Linux. Issue still resolved for you?

Yes. I am listening like all the time when home. Roon app Minimised on Windows most of the time.
It responds instantly every time I maximise it.

EDIT:// Just faced another “Not responding” screen. So it looks like there’s no association here.

Have the same issue with Roon minimized window freezing when maximized, been going on for a very long time, at least since Roon 2.0. For me, there was never any improvement after the changes in subsequent Roon versions that were supposed to address this issue.

Roon Core is on a Grimm MU1 (Linux) (as it has been for 1,5 years without issues), Roon remote is on a potent W11 PC. All networked components are wired via Ethernet cable and connected via good quality switches to the router. There are no other network issues than this one.

it was not in the past , this misery. the roon / core is on a windows11 pc and will freeze random. when energy prices were low, I would consider buying a 2nd pc , but that will cost a lot energy, no option for me.

For me, this issue is as bad as ever, maybe worse.