Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Beyond disappointed with this lack of response

7 Likes

Exactly–I’ve found no workaround that changes this behavior.

It’s when the Roon window loses focus that, upon returning focus to the Roon window at a later time (whether it’s under other windows, on another desktop, or minimized), Roon freezes and then either restores itself a minute or two later, or closes all on its own. With two computers on Win10 and the other two on Win11, it’s consistently freezing up and/or closing on all of them, and all four computers are wildly different brands/configurations, so hardware isn’t the issue, far as I can tell.

:point_up: This. I would guess it is being worked on, though. And if they need more information from us, we’re willing to provide it.

3 Likes

Yes I agree. I am willing to help provide logs etc. it’s been a month since @support was in this thread

2 Likes

My “workaround” is still working for me 26 days later. I don’t know why. It works if I am at home running Roon core on my Nucleus with Dell XPS 15 as control device, and it works when away from home running Roon core on my Dell, as I’m doing this week.

However, I agree that Roon needs to solve this.

2 Likes

I’m facing the same situation on Windows 10. If the Roon application does not have the focus for more than a couple of minutes, it will freeze and crash when accessing it again.

3 Likes

Still happening here, I can’t listen to a whole album without having to reopen roon multiple times, it is so freaking frustrating, I paid for a lifetime subscription and it used to work flawlessly.

Roon, would it be possible to stop forcing updates on us? I’d rather stick with a version that works. As it’s been for the last few months Roon is totally unusable. I think I’m gonna have to look for another software.

2 Likes

Hey there, welcome from a fellow user.

That’s a monstrous PC setup and very likely I can’t really help fix your problem, but maybe offer a workaround.

Firstly though, you seem to run your core over WiFi and also use an Airport, both of which Roon advises against, knowing that to cause many problems.
Have a read of Roon’s networking-best-practices about it.

That said, after backing up your Roon database, you could install Roon server to make it your core on first startup, restore the backup to it, having it running in the background in parallel to your previously installed Roon instance that now turns into a remote to offer the GUI to control it all.

This setup will very likely have server still running happily, playing your tunes, while the remote chokes for some reason, giving you the opportunity to just force-close and restart, if needed to speed up recovering from the root problem.

Im running such an installation for 2 1/2 years and very seldomly had the Roon GUI application just close due to some unknown problem, while the server kept on running.
Other remotes still worked and restarting it didn’t interrupt the flow of music.

Hope that helps, until @support is able to help fix you up…

Isn’t this related to the following known issue?

Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Roon Investigating, Partial Workaround Available]

Yep, could well be it, neither had participated nor thought about that thread…

Thanks for the replay Marin. Looks like Dennis (below) is right, seems a few people in that thread he mentioned also have the same issue(s). Doesn’t seem to be any solutions in there yet sadly.

Yep, I probably should have looked a bit harder before posting. That thread covers the same issues I have.

I’ve moved your post to the existing thread to keep reports of the issue in the same place.

Roon Core Machine

• Version: 1.8 build 2021
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 8 vCPU’s:
  • SSD Storage (15GB)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Switch: D-Link DGS-1100-24P
All cabled (for this remote)

Connected Audio Devices

• Sonos
  • SqueezeBox
  • ChromeCast (not in use)
  • Windows 10 with Roon application

For this specific Windows machine

• USB: Audioquest Dragonfly Red
  • Bluetooth

Number of Tracks in Library

Approx 20k tracks shared on a SMB share from TrueNAS Core and from TIDAL

Description of Issue

After a while, the Roon application becomes unresponsive on my Windows 10 Pro (21H2) Laptop (HP Zbook Studio G5).

I start the application, choose something to play, no issues at all. Roon works fast en well.
Interacting with the application works for a while.

But after a while (don’t know how long) when I do try to interact with the application, it does not respond (mouse icon goes to wait icon). The music will continue playing for a moment.
Then most of the time, the application closes (which of course stops the music).
Rarely it does not close and I can interact with it again after

The Windows Eventviewer shows an Application Error:

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62d983b8
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.4510.0, time stamp: 0x62461f56
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000000b3a4
Faulting process id: 0x13e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b791fc0fb3e3
Faulting application path: C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: ad251f58-5b8e-49db-a6ea-d11bd962374f
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Restarting the application works fine, and after a while the same thing happens.

I think the issue is UI related. During my remote work I play a lot of music (all the time). While having meetings/calls, I use my keyboard’s media keys to pause the music. I never noticed this to not work or crash the application.

I hope someone can point me in the direction for a fix…
Thanks!

I’ve been getting this same issue for a while. On my system I’m using the Windows machine to control a ROCK endpoint though, so the music keeps playing fine (hence I haven’t gotten around to reporting it here). I get a similar behavior from my Kindle Fire controller app as well.

When only controlling one of my Squeezebox endpoints in the room, the impact is indeed smaller. When the music keeps playing, everything is better :smiley:

I don’t know exactly when this issue started. I know for sure it was not always the case but started after an upgrade, perhaps to v1.8, but I’m not sure.

I’m having a similar experience…

• Roon Windows app freezes 100% of the time when minimizing/maximizing the client.

• Everything works perfectly when using alt+tab to maneuver between apps

I have been reading the threads related to this issue for a while now. I have certainly not done an exhaustive search, but yours is the only post I saw which elaborates on this behavior. I’m surprised it hasn’t been discussed more. It’s certainly not a long-term fix but it’s allowing me to use the Windows app while this is hopefully being sorted out.

1 Like

I’ve noticed freezes / crashes happen only if Roon is playing music.
Never seen problem when not playing.

(Roon core on Windows 10 pro)

My “work-around” failed me yesterday and Roon locked up running in a Window. I had to reboot my Dell.

there is also another workaround based on this - putting roon on another virtual desktop, where is locked at fullscreen. So working on the main desktop you can do anything you want without the need to interact with roon or accidentally minimize it.

Still … pretty awkward.

Agreed…both workarounds are kludgy at best. Thanks for sharing your advice. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.