Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Solved After Roon Build 1302]

Just checking back in to (a) celebrate half a year has passed since my initial post in this thread and (b) inform that for me the bug is back to its original bad behaviour.

When my Roon Remote (desktop) freezes, it now crashes / closes with a security stack error again. I long for the days when it mostly just froze for a bit. Lately, I picked up listening to Radio Paradise again. Maybe internet radio is more prone to crash than a Tidal stream?

Never minimizing Roon remote (as has been suggested multiple times in this thread) might be a valid work-around for some… However, I like to control Roon every once in a while during work. When I’m working in multiple documents and programs simultaneously, I do not want Roon Remote to be cluttering things even more. I believe this is not a niche usecase.

edit1: removed an incorrect statement.
edit2: just learned I shoudln’t say ‘remote’ when I talk about the Roon software on my Windows PC. I forgot that the pc-software is actually an all-in-one package. However, I personally only use it to control ROON ROCK on a separate NUC i7.

3 Likes

It seems a bit arrogant when developers neglect a lot of requests for an update on this issue, especially for those (like me) that paid $ 699 for this software!

5 Likes

Hi all,

After several months now, I am still dealing with the Roon interface freezing then closing when it’s been minimized.

I know this was a big issue a while back and there have been several updates to asdress it. It has improved for me, but still an annoying issue that occurs regularly.
It happens on both of my PCs and occasionally on my android.

Is this issue still being actively worked on?

If I’m an edge case, I’d be happy to share any information or logs to the Roon team if it would help.

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s a very common issue, unfortunately. I’m sure they are still trying to figure it out.

For me this has been a recurring issue since I upgraded all my PCs to Windows 11. Sometimes it successfully recovers, but most of the time it crashes. It’s annoying because I might need to hurriedly pause the music and I maximise Roon, wait and wait and wait only for it to crash and shut down.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

PC windows 10 16gb

Networking Gear & Setup Details

nothing special, nothing to do with this bug

Connected Audio Devices

USB Dac, nothing to do with this bug

Number of Tracks in Library

nothing to do with this bug

Description of Issue

After the Roon GUI has been inactive for some time (hours or days) then the first click you do on the Roon GUI causes non-reponding process followed by crash. For example I just went away 3 days, rebooted before I left, used Roon ARC all the time and it worked OK. Came back home, tried to display main menu and it hangs/crashes. This also often happens after playing regular music for several hours, followed by few hours of inactivity.

I’m still experiencing the crash on my windows 10 pc, this has been occurring way too long now. Streaming from my iPad to my BluOS device works flawlessly though when I return to my pc roon has crashed. Makes no different whether room is open full screen, windowed or minimized.

EDIT - I just ran Roon for a few hours without it crashing, hopefully this is the end of this issue.

1 Like

I received an update tonight and my crashing has returned, strangely i can still skip a song whilst the interface has crashed. I’m seriously getting tired of this. I think its time to can the roon subscription and return to the tidal app.

3 Likes

I’ve been lurking here for a few months, reading the posts and trying some of the solutions to ROON crashing when minimized.
I’m running an RME ADI-2 DAC connected to a windows 11 machine.
Thats it–strictly a desktop player, no streaming.
The crashes actually seem to be getting more frequent with every update.
Very strange.
Loved ROON when it actually worked months ago.
Really hope the developers find a solution sooner rather than later

2 Likes

V 2.0 (Build 1182)

HUGE improvement here!
I can play music for hours with minimized window - not even single freeze/crash recorded so far.

Still crashing for me when awaking from minimized on Windows 10 with V 2.0 (Build 1182).

Still a complete car crash here cab barely stay up for five minutes. Any noise from Roon on this one, I don’t understand how I can run complex programmes like twinmotion for hours on end and Roon is such a glowing turd on windows.

2 Likes

Run Roon in a Window.

Every program I run is in a window. its called Windows.

I thought maybe you might like a “work-around” that solves the problem until Roon can figure it out. But, never mind. Good luck with it.

1 Like

Well it’s been the best part of a year perhaps they should concentrate harder on it rather than hoping people will use their computers weirdly to accommodate it.

Plus I always use windowed mode, my screen is 49 inches I never use full screen

1 Like

The work around works for me - thanks. It’s a little frustrating that we haven’t heard anything from Roon since mid-October. I recently purchased a lifetime subscription so I’m all in.

8 months later - no fix.

sigh

6 Likes

This problem just reappeared for me.
If I navigate away from the Roon Window it is frozen when I come back to it.

1 Like

It is 100% reproduceable here:
Open Roon
Select zone
select daily playlist
hit play
minimize the client.
at the end of your queue restore the client window size
restart after it crashes.

Usually bugs are impossible to reproduce.