Roon Keeps losing connection from iMac to Topping D50s

No, but I unchecked exclusive and maybe that will do it.

I’ve got similar issues with a D50s, but I’m running Linux on an i5.
Roon loses the endpoint and this is sometimes just fixed semi-automatically (I can select the D50s again) and sometimes I just need to reboot the Dac.

So I’m leaning towards it being a problem with the dac.

Are you getting your power from the provided USB cable?

–MD

yep - the one with the barrel jack on the device end

For such a good DAC, I do not know why they do not include a power supply.

Using USB for power is not very reliable.

Check the voltage, but a phone charger should power that device.

You could try this for a test. By the way the audio quality will also be better because the signal will be cleaner.

–MD

I’m experiencing a very similar issue. I have a 2020 Mac Mini operating as remote connected via USB to an SMSL Sanskrit 10th MkII through a powered hub (I’ve also tried connecting directly) - with a separate USB cable for power supply. Since today, the Mac Roon Remote either can’t see the DAC or if it sees it nothing will happen when I click play. When I uncheck exclusive mode it does work, but then 88KHz and above files appear to be mixed down to 44kHz by the Mac. I’ve also tried deleting Library files, rebooting ROCK on my NUC and generally turning on and off again.
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 15.17.44

Apologies OP if this is too far from your experience to be helpful. I will turn into separate post if need be.

I really appreciate it. I’m thinking of getting another DAC.

I’ve got a Schitt Modi 2 Uber and Topping D10S knocking about the house. When I have a moment I will see if they are acting up too

1 Like

So, I tested using the D50s in non-exclusive mode, and Roon (via my iMac) did not 192 or 96khz signals to the DAC. Ugh.

Unchecking exclusive mode and changing the MIDI settings to 192Hz does work, and the SMSL device does recognise it as 192, though the Roon Signal Path still shows the disapproving green circle (Roon’s version of “it’s fine, I suppose”).

UPDATE: It’s working again in exclusive mode for now. Roon + Macs + Shenzen DACs are a volatile combination, I guess.

Sorry for the diversion. I’ll see if my Topping D10S exhibits the same behaviour

I really appreciate your help! Which SMSL are you using?

I’m using the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MkII. Probably not in the same league as your Topping - I have an inexplicable aversion to paying more than $100-ish for a DAC, so I end up buying too many cheap ones. I don’t think either of our machines are Roon tested. I think odd behaviour is how we earn the discount on some of these cheaper Shenzen DACs.

Just double checking on your Mac…here’s what mine looks like

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 3.07.57 PM

Just leaving in exclusive mode and using the Mac speakers for non-roon

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.