Roon keeps losing connection to Synology NAS

I now have 185000 tracks successfully imported. The application still randomly crashes on the MAC mini but on my way to getting all the tracks listed. I guess it will ignore the dsf tracks until that function is enabled in the app.

Can’t wait for this product to mature, it really is amazing way to explore your music. I have started using the android remote on a 12" Samsung Note Pro. This works quite well.

I have also installed the remote on a windows 10 1080p HP spectre x360 touchscreen, but all the buttons are off, you must press 1/2 cm higher than the actual button/link to be successful. It is running windows 10 maybe that is the issue

Hi @demondes – I’m going to get in touch via PM to get some more information about your crashes.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

I’m also seeing this problem.

Interestingly, I did not see this problem during the beta.
(Although, I believe I was using AFP during the beta. I just used “browse” to the /Volumes/ mount point, which I know was AFP. The GA installer recognizes AFP and says it isn’t supported!)

I’m using a Synology 508+ and a 1512+. They both experience the same disconnects.
The disconnect seems to happen after scanning about 66k tracks.
It will then remount and begin scanning/importing again.

I don’t see any errors on the Synology side.
I do see the disconnect/reconnects in the Roon logs, but no obvious errors.
I can share these logs…

Regards,

Joe

Hi @joe – we just released a build with a new implementation of network storage for OSX. Can you try that out and then report back?

And yes, AFP is no longer supported in Roon.

Thanks!

downloading version 1.0b15 using the built-in updater now.
Will let you know how it goes.

Really, no AFP?! Why no?

Regards,

Joe

Some more information here.

Build 15 seems to have fixed the SMB problems I was having with the Synology NAS. Thanks!
I’m seeing a few other issues, but I see forum posts on them, and I’ve noticed you’ve already released build 16 to address those issues.
I’ll try that and report back here to let you know if build 16 still fixes the SMB issue.

Thanks for the quick fixes!

Regards,

Joe

My original connection is reporting "Error connecting to network share:68

but I created a new share /volume/music and now it seems to be starting my library from scratch

I had exactly the same error in the last hour with build 16. Tried deleting and reconnecting three times over and magically on the third go everything picked up.

Robtodd did you keep the smb connection as I had above or go to the /volumes/music connection?

My /volumes/music connection is working but because it needs to injest 200000 tracks is it only getting part way through before roon crashes. I have to restart and it gets further along, about 1 quarter of the way complete.

Will Roon work with SMB3? I enabled SMB3 on my Synology NAS and disabled AFP and I am having issues.

Should I go back to SMB2 on the Synology NAS???

Mac OS X should be ok with SMB3

@demondes - I just switched to SMB3 from SMB1 on my Synology NAS. AFP disabled. Mac OS 10.10.4. Playback issues I had with some content are resolved. FWIW.

Unless you are using the Time Machine functionality of the Synology [or any other NAS}, then it would be best to switch off Time Machine in the NAS

The problem is that OSX still tries to connect to any devices with Time Machine via AFP…while it will use SMB to connect with any other network devices

This could be causing the interruptions you are seeing

So my suggestion on any NAS used for Roon would be to

1. Turn off the Time Machine functionality
  2. Turn off AFP Services

Yes AFP and TImemachine were turned off abut 5 days back, so that shouldn’t be the cause.

Mac OSX 10.10.4? I don’t see that as an available update yet? I am still on 10.10.3. Just checked the apple store

Maybe just the library size, Roon is crashing and or SMB connection is lost to NAS. It is taking days to import the whole library but it is getting there slowly

It should import at about 5,000 Albums per hour based on what I’ve seen over many builds…and on a 100Mbps broadband connection [for Metadata and Cover Art collection]

If it’s slower than that, then something is amiss

You’ve probably mentioned this already, but have you set Roon to WATCH the Folder…or are you importing into the Roon “Organized” folder??

Watched Folder is the better option for most users I think

Sorry I do have 10.10.4 but I am on Apple Beta program, so you are one small release back. I only have 31,000 tracks, much less than you.

Thanks, just read about the network change in 10.10.4, hopefully that is released soon. That could be a fix.

Yes Ronnie I am using a watched folder,I have also gone back to a watched SMB network folder with user name and password explicitly listed in Roon as opposed to the mapped volume. The mapped volume was dropping in Roon and Finder. This seems to be working better.

I have 30Mbps Cable so not quite 100.

Where my Mac Mini sits in the back part of the house and is plugged into a good router that is actually a wifi extender (using 2.4GB and 5GB AC wifi back to the wired main router.). My old house was not easy to ethernet through. Whilst this is not an issue for Plex playing 1080P video and Jriver Playing my music, maybe Roon is having issues?

I could temporarily run a long ethernet cable to import the library across the floor in the worst case.

You can check the signal strength of you WIFI signal at the Mac Mini by choosing the wireless icon on the top right of your screen while holding down the Option key. Look for TX Rate - in example mine shows TX Rate: 400Mbps. This is not related to the speed of your internet connection outside of the house (your cable speed). It should be much higher than your cable speed.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I have kept the smb connection. It seems to be fairly stable.

Hmm I am stilling getting my SMB connection dropping to my Synology NAS.

Things I have tried

1. Upgraded the Mac OSX to 10.10.4 Beta
  2. Reset my Netgear Wifi EX6200 Extender and reconfigure from scratch.
  3. Change back from a watch folder of type smb://192.168.1.7… etc to /volumes/music

The combination has made Roon and connectivity more stable but it still keeps dropping just less often.

I also noticed a strange behaviour when the connection to the NAS drops at the OS level and you reconnect the drive at the OS level. Roon reconnects and starts to remove the albums and artists like a reverse import of metadata. So now if the connection to the NAS is dropped I close Roon first before reconnecting the NAS, then restarting Roon.

Currently on 85000 tracks but struggling to get further data prior to a disconnect.

Other thing I have tried is the long LAN cable or temporary relocation of the mac mini close to primary router and NAS. Import all data and then return to original location attached to wifi extender ethernet port.