Roon lagging with larger library

But now a lot of people come here because they want more than just a file browser or JRiver. If you can get away from Windows, you will find countless of these simple players in the Linux world, but I too am betting on Roon and hope for a strong team that solves one problem after the other.

Anyone who thinks there are operating systems or application programmes that are free of problems only needs to take a longer look around in their communities. The forums are overflowing with problems and here things are really very civilised.

If the team stays in contact with us and communicates the state of affairs openly and honestly, we will become more patient. Of course, there will be problem areas that don’t get a solution because it requires more than just rewriting an application programme.

Here, one dances on every floor and almost no one believes that the new versions of Windows, MacOS, iOS… offer a stable basis for application programmers.

Memory problems with Debian, but not Arch also shows how different the Linux world can be. Sometimes it is enough to like Gnome instead of KDE and you have other problems…

2 Likes

I enjoyed reading this and it shows that there are many ways to live your love of music. Thank you for the ideas to do it yourself.

Also have a look at Foobar2000, as a supplement to the Roon love

Thanks Dylan. I’m running a sonic transporter i9. I believe that’s Linux OS. I’d be happy to try a beta version. Please keep us posted!

1 Like

Is this any faster after the change to .net instead of mono?
Very curious to know if it helped any.

I too wonder if anything has been done to improve the memory in the i9

While i9 may sound fast it will very much depend on the i9 model in use too - clock speed etc.

To be honest I run a library of 350K tracks on a Nucleus (not +) Rev A so thats
Intel® Core™ i3-7100U Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz) but I bumped it to 12GB ram and updated the SATA M.2 to NVMe 128GB and the library is on a windows PC based SMB share over 1GB network.

I see pretty good track selection times…but initial database loading at power on does take a few mins to let roon be operable but once its up its fine.

I have an other Roon Server core running on the same windows PC with direct access to the 16TB+6TB drives with the exact same library but this runs on an Intel Core i7-10700 series CPU with 16GB also. Again its no slouch either and maybe a tad faster than the Nucleus but still the Nucleus is basically taking seconds to load a track not 10’s of them. Im limited too but TDP at 65 watts due to a fanless chassis - but other options with active cooling can and do perform much better I am sure.

Now an i9 could be anything as I said…if its one of these which I suspect it could be (but dont quote me)

Intel® Core™ i9-10900T Processor

then the specs look like this source here compared to my i7-7100 chip just as an example.

Remember roon doesn’t really use a lot of cores - but clock speed is the biggest improvement you will notice.

I have a ST i9 with over 291K tracks. The Linux update has shown improvements. The overall speed of searching and importing files is much better. I still get a little lagging between selecting new songs after a track has played over 35 seconds. I’m still testing this as it’s a bit better than before and I’m curious if it takes longer as memory builds up in the Roon program. But I’m definitely seeing improvements and hopefully the lagging issue continues to get better too. Good job @support.

Thanks,
Spence

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.