"Roon Lite" / "Roon Light" - Roon with limited functionality (and potentially less expensive)

Roon Advanced Audio Player.
The stripped down <it plays your audio files to your local devices, and shows some metadata> app.

That’s a RAAP. :laughing:

EDIT: I guess I should add this… RAAP would be exclusively for home. ARC takes care of the away, and Roon takes care of the full featured bells and whistles…

Direct-Path-Preamp, blah blah… short and simple signal - no frills just the signal… my old man said that to me all the time. I’d love to see that in Roon.

it has a direct path…
but there’s no minimal install.

Isn’t that ARC essentially?

Not really, ARC is a mobile away from home platform. ARC was not designed to work with my RAAT and hqp zones.

My guess is this topic will get lost in the shuffle, ignored, and/or get incorporated to ARC for Desktop which will just be another complicated always needs to be updated and only works with new stuff app.

Nothing direct or simple there.

ARC works just fine on the local wifi, but I took “it plays your audio files to your local devices” as the phone where it’s installed, but I guess I overlooked the plural there, so OK, it can’t play to RAAT devices.

Then I wonder “isn’t that the regular Roon remote on a phone”?. It’s exclusive for home, addresses RAAT endpoints, displays some metadata, and if DSP is off it’s just the signal.

I guess I don’t get what you want :slight_smile:

That wasn’t mentioned in the OP when I replied, but I don’t know how it gets more direct and simple as a Core with a phone remote if it shall do RAAT and metadata for local files (which have to be somewhere)

I guess I left out the other important part from my other linked post…

I’d like to see a stripped down Audio Player (shouldn’ t be difficult) it’s album covers and files that works with RAAT and HQP, leave out the Audio Experience features from it… let the audio playing give me that… like removing the bloat… minimal install/features.

So a Roon remote for a core without all the metadata but still “some” of it :slight_smile: (which of course is something different for every user). Sounds like a few config switches for turning off this and that, similar to the feature suggestions for a configurable Home screen, which I do get. On the other hand, if I don’t want to see the “audio experience” stuff, I turn on the music and put the phone aside.

Hi @ffk,

I’m not sure I get what you’re asking for, so I ask what is driving this in other words what’s the use case is?

Roon Core can output Bit Perfect data to a DAC via a number of connection options such as SPDIF/TOSLINK, USB, RAAT, Airplay (sample rate limited excepted) so I’m struggling to see what the benefit is.

If you a cleaner UI you looking for then then Roon phone app is a stripped down version of the PC / iPad app.

PS Our posts crossed, thanks for the addition info … but I’m not really getting it.
Most of the “bloat” as you put is tucked away in the current UI and if you don’t activate it other than taking up a little storage does not affect the machine it’s running on.

• An app that does simple database searches
  • allows you to play a selected song/songs (a queue)
  • Will not need to be updated every week in order to function as it doesn’t utilize or access the advanced features that constantly require updating
  • it’s simple remote/player app, needs minimal everything

It sounds that way but something tells me if we could see the Roon 2.0 flow chart, we might then understand that it is too complicated to just turn off alot of this in the current client offerings. I think it’d need an app rewrite that just looked for and tapped into limited things to accomplish this. A stripped down Roon. Which I really think they don’t seem to want as it seems to me they are under the impression it would ruin the image they are going for and somehow make the product look bad or not as attractive as other company’s offerings of products.

I don’t believe that. It may well be a complicated mess inside (I don’t know) but I would bet that the UI layer and what is presented in it is reasonably decoupled.

Might be. It definitely multiplies UI complexity and user confusion about why they don’t see this or that :wink:

That sounds like a “Roon Lite” / “Roon Light” … there’s a interesting existing topic for that so I’ve merge your suggestion into it, but it didn’t get any mileage from Roon as Roon have no interest in just providing a transport layer.

Take a read.

Naturally it wouldn’t… this is obviously also complaining about not wanted to pay for features they don’t use. That’s just annoying. I’d ignore this topic too once ppl start complaining/suggesting I don’t use that feature so I don’t want to pay for it.

I’m asking for a stripped app not requiring regular maintenance to access the search, play and queue functions of the current RoonServer Core structure.

You still pay for Roon, same price, same subscription… monthly, yearly, lifetime. It’s all still there… It’s just an interface. Not another tier… I’d never want or propose that at all.

1 Like

Hopefully, Roon won’t waste their time on this. There are plenty of other apps that do this.

Rude.

Care to share, ARC is the only one I know that piggy backs / accesses RoonServer Core and ARC is far from a minimal updates/maintenance distro.

1 Like

Are you experiencing update issues in the remote app? Just asking because it came up repeatedly and I couldn’t care less on my phone, every few weeks it does an autoupdate like 200 other apps on my phone, I wouldn’t even notice if I didn’t religiously read the forum.

I would notice the core updates but those wouldn’t be changed by having an additional optional “lite” phone app.

1 Like

I try not to update. In part, this is a pet peeve of mine, updates are good, but more and more updates are being used to force new product onto people. It’s the new business model for hardware suppliers and it drives product sales and they pitch as being in the users best interest. Aside from that, I still would really like to see a basic Roon Core Access App, yes iPhone app is basic, but it constantly becomes more needy to keep the “features” working… how needy does a remote app need to be.

All the posts I read about with requests or features is either add features to the current model that they feel they pay a lot for and deserve more features so spend my money like this…

Or

I don’t want to use/need to use all these features so give me a product I can pay less for without these features.

I’d just like to see a stripped down app:

It is a limited feature app download. Not requiring or needing to take resources from Roon on a level like ARC required. It is an app that is

low resource,
low maintenance,
minimal update (LTS),
minimal system version requirement,
minimal network usage,
optional no wan network required (to a certain extent obviously),
remote app (meaning access via lan only) to your RoonServer Core and allows you to play your music to an endpoint. Even if your internet (wan) is not existent for a time, you obviously need lan access…

This app requires a paid in full account, no discounts or schemes. It’s an addition to what Roon offers, but it happens to be limited in features but, for example, still better than Apples pathetic Remote app that accesses iTunes.

Yeah, I officially don’t get it

Edit: Or let me put it differently: This exists. It’s called a UPnP server and a UPnP app. I have an UPnP server dormant on my NAS, my Naim streamer can play from that, and the app it came with can control that and has light Tidal and Qobuz integration. The UPnP server updates never and the Naim app every 2 years without any noticeable changes. It shows album/track titles, cover art, artist names. (And on iOS the Qobuz and Tidal info). If I wanted that, I would not be using Roon.

1 Like

Feel free to vote here.

Never going to happen though.

New subscription plans, I suggest Roon should make new subscription plans. 1. trial name "MAX" 2. "LITE". Max would have all existing features. The Lite plan would be stripped of DSP and add-ons for "Muse", perhaps leaving the equalizer behind. The price is, of course, at least half as low, but that's Roon's problem. The idea is for Roon to gain a larger market. What do you say? 😃

I’m not sure that we pay enough at the moment, never mind looking for a discounted level.

2 Likes

I say no. (10 char)

2 Likes