"Roon Lite" / "Roon Light" - Roon with limited functionality (and potentially less expensive)

I think it would make more sense to go the other way – provide a cheaper product that just does the streaming access w/ enhanced metadata for those who do not have the desire to have specialized features, and upsell for those specialized features like DSP and streaming to fancy devices. The wider audience can live without fancy endpoints.

2 Likes

I really do not understand the point of this thread. Everyone has a different need - granted. I searched for a very long time for a decent interface to listen to my music - my library. I also do streaming and this integrated nicely. Roon was a perfect fit - for me. If Roon isn’t for you then keep on with your Spotify interface or whatever currently works - for you. My Roon is solid and does everything I need it to do. Not everything needs 5 versions. Not for you? - Then move on.

Why ask for a Ferrari and then complain when it doesn’t come with a 300cc 3cyl motor because you can’t drive it fast anyway.
Flame on…

4 Likes

There is Roon Essentials that runs on a few Elac devices. Lifetime free version included with the audio unit like Discovery 101 music server.

One potential option would be pay per endpoint, using the same software?
Offer a lower cost base entry price (One end point) and then charge for additional endpoint inclusion.

I’m a lifer so I’m happy either way

Looks like I’ll just keep using my Android apps to access Qobuz. I have been in contact with Qobuz technical support and they are saying that adding DLNA support to their Windows and Android apps is in final testing and should be released soon. But they have said the same before.

I do like the Roon UI better than the basic Qobuz UI. I’ve been playing around with it during my free trial.

Well said. I had very similar experience but in the industrial automation market. Customers of software generally are not aware of the complexities surrounding software design and software applications. What may seem simple on the surface can be very complex to code, test and implement.

1 Like

While well said I’ve seen many a software system where it was simply the design that was ill though out/convoluted.

You may be surprised how often it’s actually the other way around. You just need to think simple. Complicated minds, complicated code…

1 Like

Agreed. They’ve been saying this for years.

I need a version of the Roon App that I can distribute to the household. Because, basically, I don’t trust the other half or anyone else not to screw up my library by either accidentally deleting files or adding albums I don’t want. I want to allow them access to be able to play music ONLY and nothing else! Has anything like this been created yet please?

2 Likes

Home Assistant gives you Roon integration and then you build a dashboard that can be used with any tablet with just play options for Roon.

Can you search the library though? As it’s not much use if you can’t for what the op I’d after and others. It doesnt need a new app what we need is the profiles to act as proper profiles and like Plex can give users permissions to access and do things.

1 Like

You can browse the library. No search though.

Hi @Neill_Strickland,

Various requests for some form of library / settings / config projection have come in over the years … have a read of this topic …

We are told it’s on the roadmap but low priority…

Some users have implemented their own limited display screens have a look in the #tinkering:roonapi section of the forum.

Didn’t know that. That’s pretty neat. I am waiting for @Boris_Schaedler to add library search to itRox.

How do you show/enable this browse view? I don’t seem to have any option to browse, only the control widget to play/pause and skip.

Press that little triangle icon on the right. The browse feature came in 0.118 version, so make sure you have the newest HA.

1 Like

This is from 5 years ago!? That really is low priority.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Surely it would be easier to add a few toggle switches on the User Profiles that simply allow and disallow editing?

I’ve been following that five-year-old “Party Mode” feature request thread for… well, at least three years. It’s necessary functionality.

2 Likes