Roon losing control of Sonos audio device

this is true for me 1000% - I have 2 Sonos 5’s and they only work consistently with Roon using airplay. Every once in a while I’ll try sonosnet, but it never works. I get skips, and often teh song playing is not the one showing on Roon - Airplay is flawless.
I do have a few older sonos one’s and they work fine wit sonosnet and Roon

Who knows? I gave up…

Is anyone else still having trouble here? I have 2 x Play 3’s (stereo pair) in my Roon setup that worked flawlessly until about a week ago, but now I get “Roon lost control of audio device” error and audio cutout after about 30 secs of playing. I’ve tried resetting everything (roon server, the play 3’s, router) but still no luck.

Also tried the -nosonosflac flag

Shaun

Yes, I am experiencing this. In another thread I mentioned this and thought I had cracked it. Still not solved and when grouping Sonos speakers my system becomes unstable with ‘lost control’ messages from Roon and drop-outs. I have just about tried everything I can think off. This has all been working flawlessly until about Jan of this year.

Things I have tried

• Move my core to a Mac mini M1 with 64g Ram on the machine ( previously on my NAS and thought I was hitting performance issues )
  • Used a Wifi / network explorer app to see what other networks nearby may be new and interfering. Tinkered with changing the SonosNet channels and also changed my Wifi home network channel numbers and various combinations
  • Change which Sonos speaker was the Root bridge.
  • Analyzed the network matrix in Sonos by going to ‘Sonos IP Address’:1400/support/review. I had one speaker showing red ( lot of noise ). I actually removed this from my network as it was to my patio and not used very often.
  • I connected all but one of my Sonos speakers to my network through Ethernet cable ( not sure why or if this would help).

My network matrix is now a mix of green and one or two yellow boxes. I still get issues though.

A few other observations.

Using the native Sonos App, grouping of speakers and playing music is absolutely rock solid.

Just using one Sonos speaker endpoint on Roon works well and no issues

Roon seems far less forgiving when speakers are grouped compared to native Sonos App.

I have two DAC units in my media room and if they are grouped ( non Sonos ). Works fine.

I may be at the end of my rope here and might consider a migration strategy to something other than Sonos.

Hi Allan I have been through some of this pain in the past. After a couple of different updates Roon and Sonos were pretty much broken for me.

I eventually got the best working solution in a long time by disconnecting all my Sonos devices from the network and plugging in my previously discarded Sonos Boost directly into a main switch and factory reset all the Sonos and adding them again one by one.

I don’t link Sonos zones that often these days as I have reduced 4 zones to use Roon Ready, but I still have 3 rooms with Sonos and two portable devices for the garden which I do link in the summer and were working nicely until I turned them off for the winter

Michael

Thanks. I actually think this is my issue. I upgraded to S2 about 6 months ago and my Sonos Bridge was no-longer compatible so was disconnected. I might go the route you did. I did just order a Boost, which is S2 compatible and supposedly better than bridge from B&H and will be here tomorrow and I will try that along with the factory reset ( didn’t want to do that, but might be my last option).

1 Like

Hopefully it all goes well Allan.
The factory reset for me was to get the right devices driving network traffic, but I had owned Sonos since 2006 and tried many different things when Roon stopped working.

Hopefully the Boos will do the trick, but you might want to unplug all other Sonos devices which is what I also did, and those two things have left me with a much more reliable Sonos setup.

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

Hi Michael

So far, not so good :frowning:

My boost will be here tomorrow. For now, I just removed all speakers and factory reset. I added back two speakers, both play 3. One connected by ethernet to my router the other next door n the Family room. My understanding is, in this basic configuration the one play 3 connected via Ethernet is acting like a bridge.

These two speakers are added to my app and from with Sonos I can group them and plays rock solid. Try and do the sane with Roon and every few minutes, it stops with ‘Roon has lost control of the device’. If I just set Roon to stream to one of the Sonos speakers seems to work ok.

Lots of these kind of errors in this forum with Roon and Sonos and to be fair as many people happy with the setup. At the moment though, this does not pass the Wife test, so I need to get this fixed

It’s all very frustrating.

The Boost will be here tomorrow and will see if this is the panacea, Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Allan

Hi Allan
Yes you are correct that one play 3 on Ethernet acts like a baby boost, (but really more like a Bridge).
I replaced a Bridge with a Boost and not saying it will fix things for you, but it has for me and some others.
Ideally once you plug the Boost in, remove Ethernet from the other device’s to get the best SonosNet environment.

:crossed_fingers: hopefully this work’s for you.

Can I ask if you have also reduced the bit rate on the Sonos as well? (As below). This also helped my further away devices.

1 Like

I just want to share my latest experience with this issue as things have changed quite a bit at my house recently … I got a new mesh system installed! For many years now I’ve been using the SmartThings WiFi Mesh system (circa 2018) including Ethernet backhaul, but it has recently been broken by Samsung and Plume which made me search for a replacement. I got the Deco XE75 Pro x3 system, and it has resolved so many issues I had with my network that I am just ecstatic with the result.

In relation to Sonos though, it actually made it WORSE for me … I wanted to cry. I couldn’t believe it… BUT, I didn’t give up. I thought to myself “what if I go entirely WiFi for Sonos and get rid of both Boost and SonosNet?” … and that’s what I did. I researched success stories on how to properly do this to make everything all WiFi and get rid of the SonosNet network, and it’s been 24 hours now and I can’t recall the last time my Sonos system was so fast and stable. It’s amazing … huge difference for me. AND … (drumroll…) I can actually use Airplay now without interruptions! Yes … Airplay on Sonos is no longer a bad word for me. In fact, it’s actually more stable now than the Sonos network via Roon (funny enough) … so that was a flip for me.

I just wanted to share this as another datapoint. Everyone’s network, equipment and environment is different. For me, replacing my mesh system with something else (and going all WiFi with Sonos) appears to have resolved most issues. (Ahem… Roon and Sonos network still doesn’t play very well together, BUT it now works better for me over Airplay at least now in a very good way). :peace_symbol:

1 Like

That was my experience with Sonos on a Mesh network as well. A lot of modern Mesh networks do not like using 2.4 very much and if you have older Sonos then I found the Boost the better way to go.
If you have more modern devices and/or pick the right Mesh for this then it is the perfect solution. It was the one I originally tried when Roon/Sonos broke, but it was a no go with Orbi Mesh (at least for me).
Generally I think anyone with a brand new Sonos setup should follow your example, especially when employing a Mesh network.

1 Like

Roon, about two weeks ago and continuing, no longer works with Sonos. What gives?