Roon losing control of Sonos audio device

Hi - is anyone else suffering issues with Sonos speakers and Roon.
My system had been working fine until yesterday when all of the Sonos zones in my house began to malfunction.
Sound is breaking up or not playing at all until eventually I get the message ‘Roon lost control of the audio device’. This happens on all Sonos S2 products but S1 products continue to work OK.
I have restarted my router and also all Sonos speakers but the problem remains.
Sonos is also working OK, so I’m guessing this has to be an issue with Roon and Sonos S2 products?
Thanks in advance.

I’ve been having the same issues as you (S1 system here) for about a week, but has magically disappeared the past few days (so its back to being stable again). Could be due to local network issues unless something else was going on in the cloud.

Yes having same issue on my single remaining Play 5 on S2.
Sonos issues have been endless for a while now.
My Play 5 is up for sale and when its gone I will rejoice.

I have a large Sonos system, all S2,…and no new issues for me. Hope it solves itself for you soon.

Looks like I’m hoping for the ‘magical’ solution now as I’m all out of ideas. I’ll sit tight and try and remain calm

If I could ditch Sonos I probably would but far too much kit to make that a practical solution. You’re right about Sonos and Roon - they fall out far too frequently.

Thanks for responding. Fingers crossed.

I hear you. I used to have a full house Sonos system but have executed a replacement strategy over the last 3 years with just the solitary play 5 remaining.

Good plan! What did you replace with and are you happy you made the switch?

I have a feeling this could be an issue with my Roon Core. It’s a late 2014 27 inch iMac and the OS was recently updated to 11.7.8.

My experience, after a lot of problems with Sonos for a long time, is that it works much better and more stable with Roon when AirPlay is used instead of SonosNet

Thank you. Sadly not all of my end points are AirPlay compatible.

It’s the opposite for me with my S1 system. SonosNet much more stable than Airplay, though I prefer Airplay because of how I can use Alexa to skip songs with my voice, see the Now Playing on all my devices (including the Sonos app itself), etc. Wish Sonos app would show what Roon is playing when using SonosNet/Sonos as the endpoint.

1 Like

Various Roon Ready devices. Am very happy with them. The Sonos device with Roon is the only internet device in our house that has endless issues.

1 Like

Not sure if you know this, but you only need 1 Airplay Sonos device and use the auto-group Sonos devices option that are not ‘eligible’ for Airplay setting (I’m not at home to tell you exactly the setting, but it’s there if you look in the app). I have 2 “ineligible” Airplay Sonos devices (original Sonos One and Connect) that I use this option with to connect to my Play:5 which is Airplay compatible. So when I play music on Play:5 via Airplay, it will automatically also group my Sonos One and Connect to play that same music together as a group.

EDIT:
Found it … System Settings / Airplay / Non-Airplay Compatible products (turn this On)

2 Likes

Many thanks. I didn’t know about that setting. Very useful.

1 Like

Yes, Sonos has been on and off in respect of reliability with Roon for a while now (maybe a couple of years). Just another bug in the Roon system that doesn’t seem to be addressed.

Airplay is the more reliable way of connecting to Sonos endpoints through Roon though, but still not perfect and will often lose connection (even though I’m hard wired).

Roon would be a lot better if they focussed on a stable and reliable system, rather than adding new features, which are also unreliable. I wouldn’t mind if it was free, but we’re paying an increasingly expensive premium for a system that feels neglected.

1 Like

Yes, agreed on all counts!

Amen to that

Part of the reason why I am experimenting with WiiM Pro Roon Ready endpoints for a few of my speakers. I have Sonos all over my house though and don’t really want to replace them as I like using Sonos for other services (e.g. SiriusXM playback). It’s really annoying using Roon with Sonos which is really a shame.