Roon makes edited version only available in Tidal selections

I’m new to Roon and Tidal, and just discovered this issue - it basically ruins hip-hop and punk because the annoying noise that’s used to censor explicit lyrics makes the songs unlistenable.

If I go to the Tidal website and pick, for example, Nas’ Illmatic album - I can listen to the uncensored version fine… but not on Roon.

How do we enable the uncensored/unedited songs on Tidal? This is quite literally a deal-breaker for Tidal use with Roon - it’s simply not worth $20/month for edited/censored music with no option for the unedited music.

Please fix this!

For the time being, try going into the Tidal app and favouriting the explicit version (and unfavourite the censored, if it is).

After the next sync, it should be in Roon. You can force a sync in Settings > Services > edit > Sync Now.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

That didn’t work, but enabling “Settings / General / Show Hidden Tracks and Albums” causes Roon to display an “Other versions” button for the album that offers two versions of the album: one is censored, the other is not.

Unfortunately there’s no way to see which version is which - trial and error required.

So, not ideal but at least there’s a workaround. I’d still love to see an option in the Tidal settings for “enable/disable explicit album versions”.

Sorry for the trouble @RoonForImprovement!

This is a known issue that we’ll be working on, along with a whole bunch of other metadata issues, for our next major release, 1.3.

For now, glad there’s a workaround, and thanks for the feedback! And nice alias :wink:

1 Like

There is one other alternative I recently found after dealing with the same issue.

If you go directly into the Tidal interface and add the explicit version of an album into your library, when you listen to it through Roon, it will play the explicit version. A bit annoying, but a somewhat permanent solution for your favorite explicit albums that you want to save to your library for easy access.

Happy listening!

In my opinion, the original version should always be the default selection Roon presents me.
Since I’m not an american, I can deal with explicit stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has this issue been resolved?

I too would prefer to have only an Explicit version of an album show up if there is a ‘clean’ or ‘edited’ duplicate. I am using Roon 1.3 so I was expecting this issue resolved. Having to manually favorite albums really is a poor workaround.

I believe it is resolved. Are you not finding this to be the case?

Searching Jidenna artist (for example) shows these two albums availble in Tidal. I can add whichever one I want.

Cheers, Greg

Yes, I see that layout. I think that my feature request would be hiding the non-Explicit version if an Explicit version exists. In the example you posted, there is really only one album, named “The Chief”, there are just two versions of that album. Roon already merges ‘remastered’ albums over the original.

Another quirk is sometimes you still have over two TIDAL albums for a single album. For Snoop Dogg you can see 3 albums for Doggystyle. Even the sorting of Explicit albums seems inconsistent. The Snoop Dogg albums have another issue where the Explicit version is missing all the “Play Picks”, yet the middle ‘clean’ album has “Play Picks”. I’m still trying to sort out what are Roon quirks and what are Tidal issues.