Roon mobile: Syncing Music Files To Portable Devices for local playback [done]

Do you like Car Play?

I use Android Auto and since the new release with Android 10 I would say: yes, I do like it.

1 Like

Personally I want Roon Mobile but the same time I wish that this will developed in such way that when I am away from my wifi I will not be able to control my streamer at home. I was using something before (I think this was squeezebox implementation) that allowed my such control. It was not good as I was changing music/volume on my home streamer not knowing about this (until my wife called me and asked to stop messing around).

For me, this (mobile sync) would be wonderful.
Iā€™m thinking of a scenario there a mobile version is installed on my Chord Poly/Mojo, and my iPhone Roon app control and sync to the core at home.

Some sort of migrate function would be nice, so I can, then Iā€™m at home, choose what music should be copied to the micro card on the Poly.

That would give me the ability to listen to that local files, plus Tidal or Qobuz. All my playlists and playcount syncs (but if a playlist contents file based music thatā€™s not on my Poly, itā€™s just get skipped).

Sorry for my english but I hope you understand what Iā€™m after.

2 Likes

Does Plex work bit perfect with a DAC and sample rate switch.

Not sure. Never was a concern for me with mobile, and I use Roon at home.

I resorted to getting a FiiO M11 DAP with Roon as a client and use Spotify and Tidal downloads to the M11 onto large uSD cards (it can take up to 2 x 2TB I think) and I also pulled much of my normal rotation music library to it as well. Great for the on the road travels and even in the car as no bandwidth on mobile plans. it Has Wifi for home Roon use too.

Hi, it would be very nice to have Roon iOS could streaming HD music while I am outside home, I know it may accomplish by VPN, but VPN is not an option sometimes.

So any plan to have this nice feature in mobile phone? Or some port-map/proxy tricks would still help a lot.

mods will move this to the appropriate area shortly I bet

Yep, and now done :slight_smile:

3 years later, itā€™s never now? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

When will it be possible to hold my Roon on a remote server and so listen anywhere to my Roon collection

To be frankā€¦its on the road mapā€¦

look here ā€¦ where others have tried to work around

I know there will be people who write, be patient and believe. But, come on 3 years is a very long time.
Either it will be in the next release which really needs a wow factor after the silent wait since 1.6, or it will never be done.
So, letā€™s wait and see - sadly my guess is also that there will be no upgraded version released this year.

There were signs they were still working on this this year. Someone found a job posting from Q1 for new hire to work in their mobile solution.

Iā€™m hoping long wait for new update is due to working on this. Possible that complete UI overhaul is taking most of their time. But think either they release very soon or pushed until early next year.

Itā€™s not exactly hard to find as it is under jobs on the roon site
https://roonlabs.com/jobs.html

1 Like

Hereā€™s my solution while I wait for Roon to do its thing.

1. I have both a Roon server and a Plex server (both scanning the same music folder on my NAS).

2. Using Plex, I can sync a playlist to my laptop and my phone.

3. On my phone, I use USB Audio Player PRO for playback of the synced files.

4. On my laptop, I use Roon for playback of the synced files.

This way I am not dependent on Internet access for playback (I find the Plex player to be kind of wonky when used in offline mode). Once set up, this is relatively seamless. The Plex app on my phone will automatically sync content in the background. On my laptop, I have to periodically launch the Plex app and click the Refresh button for the Synced playlist.

Iā€™m a bit new to this so just want to check that I understand what this thread is talking about. The title of the thread is ā€œMobile Music Sync and Streaming [On Roadmap]. I read that as two separate feature requests as followsā€¦

1 - Mobile Sync. The ability to download some or all of your music library to a mobile device so that you can access it when out of mobile coverage (on a plane, in a subway etc) of simply not wanting to chew up your data allowance and increase battery drain. (How to handle albums in the library that are favourited from Tidal or Qobuz and not actually stored on the Core storage seems an interesting issue there.)

2 - Mobile Streaming - The ability to stream from your home Core when out and about, e.g. at the office. Maybe some people already manage this via VPN access to their home Core or is this an area where the basic architecture and network assumptions mean that some re-architecting is required?

Have I understood the landscape correctly here? If yes then is it both of these that are on the roadmap, with I fully understand no explicit or implied promise of when or even if either or both features might be implemented, or has just one of them made it onto the road map so far? If only one then which one?

If Iā€™ve understood it correctly then my personal input, for what itā€™s worth, is that I would be totally over the moon if (1) was implemented but personally have no particular need for (2). Thatā€™s not suggesting that (2) isnā€™t hugely important to many people, just sharing my particular priorities.

No one knows what the solution(s) will be other than ā€œmobileā€. The rest is pure speculation.

Roon should partner up with UAPP on Android. It has integrated Tidal and Qobuz streaming with your own local files. It has MQA support. It has its own audio pathway avoiding the Android Audio mixer. It can output to DACs. All it needs is the ability to be a Roon Endpoint and Sync from a Roon Core and youā€™re done.

5 Likes

Maybe add in ZeroTier and you have a link to home too, but sadly ZT doesnā€™t seem to work in its current form on iPhones as far as I can tell.

I will be trying it on my travels over the weekend for my laptop tho :slight_smile: