Roon mobile: Syncing Music Files To Portable Devices for local playback [done]

I just use Tidal on the go. I am not sure I would change that even if I did have a mobile option in Roon. I have my doubts Roon will incentivise me to use it instead of Tidal with lower bandwidth requirements or a means to make it more car friendly.

2 Likes

I recommend Prism for mobile music streaming from your Plex library.
Focused 100% on music - no video
It has a clean, simple interface and Carplay support.

https://prism-music.app/

1 Like

Roon have said they are creating a mobile solution - they havenā€™t said how it will work. No details on features, offline/online or anything else so any speculation as to features - is just thatā€¦

If just the playlists from Roon to Tidal were synced :tipping_hand_man:t2:

2 Likes

Adding my plus one here, itā€™d be great to get an update on where things stand. This seems to be one of the most important features moving forward.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t support Android.

As soon as there is mobile syncing with the Android client i will convert my year to year membership to lifetime. Right now I use Mediamonkey for that {and it is fine} but I would love to have the ability to combine my own files and Tidal in one place {the SD card)} when mobile. One feature Mediamonkey also has i would vote for is the ability to give 1 to 5 stars to tracks and have it sync higher rated ones more often, and give preference to tracks not listened to in x number of days/months

There are players which do that right now, Tidal/Qobuz/Google Music/Local Library. See USB Audio Player Pro. Also has the option for MQA playback and can output to USB DACs.

Thatā€™s great, thanks!
So am I to understand that HQPlayer can store tidal tracks offline, or only stream them (donā€™t have that much cellular data for streaming, Iā€™m afraid)?

Never mentioned HQPlayer, the app I mentioned was USB Audio Player Pro.

Streaming services will only allow downloaded material to their own application. Period. So if your goal is to download music from Tidal for local play, then, you are forever stuck using only their application to do so. Same goes for Qobuz.

Sorry! When I hit reply the popup covered your response and I remembered incorrectly what you wrote!

I understand, but thatā€™s a shame :slight_smile:

And/or some very punitive clauses to contracts that make local content management by Roon too risky.

Maybe there is an architectural middle ground to be designed and negotiated between Roon and streaming Services like Tidal and Quobuz - allow the streaming service to include their own local file management/DRM frameworks within the Roon app if that is the only reasonable way. That way, they still retain their own control of content, and we gain the mobile user experience that we want, and Roon of course provide the mobile streaming framework for NAS and internet radio playback only. For us as end users - such a thing would be as seamless as Roon at home today.

You never know - if the Tidal or Quobuz players for android and iOS are well factored players (ok - maybe not, but we can be hopeful), maybe it wouldnā€™t be that much of a stretch to isolate that portion of them into a manner that could be easily incorporated by Roon. Who knows - maybe they are already deep into the business side of this and hence the long delays from the start of this thread to this current point in time.

I donā€™t knowā€¦ at first, I was excited about a remote version of Roon, but Iā€™ve lost the vision.

I struggle to see a future where Roon can honestly compete with Spotify in remote/mobile settings.

In my car, I have a Spotify app that responds well to voice commands ā€¦ and, has access to a zillion tracks that arenā€™t in my library. The playlists in Spotify playlists put everyone else to shame. On my phone, the same is true.

My ā€œcollectionā€ is what I love when I am home and using elevated playback gear. On the road/in my car, I want ease of access. Will the Roon app support CarPlay/Android Auto?

4 Likes

Cant help but agreeā€¦plus many carriers allow for no data hit when you get an account for Spotify / Tidal / Apple Music with them when mobile too.

Ive gone for local downloads to my iOS devices for Tidal/Spotify and similar for my FiiO M11 for music on the go - with 2 SD cards one can put easily 1-4TB of tunes on it, even off of ones own collection.

They have been saying it since 2017 in the posts above. When I had Squeezebox LMS with iPeng I could listen to my music wherever I was, no problem and the software is free and the option has been available for a very long time. So it is possible and cannot be rocketscience. Of all the things I hope for Roon to improve and add this is number 1 on my list. Streaming from your home network is really nothing as mindbuggling as Roon makes it seem, it is a pretty normal function in 2019. If they atleast helped with the workaround with VPN so that Roon was accessible as absolutely everything else is in my household - the only thing that does not work via VPN is streaming to Roon on my iPhone.
Roon ususlyy never talks about coming features - but the mobile option is something they have stated quite often, so where is it?

And this are we there yet mentality is exactly why Roon usually donā€™t state that features are coming.

See this too.

Would be great to have an option to integrate with cloud storage and therefore enable some Roon mobile scenarios for listening to music remotely.

With no sign of offline playback coming to Roon I see there are some plex music upgrades that just got released in 1.18 server beta. Iā€™m on a metered internet connection right now or I would try it out.

Do you like Car Play? I find it jarring that the display is so different than the car display that I turned off CarPlay. Am curious if others like it.

I agree with you and just use Tidal app in car, sometimes Spotfy.

Also agree with you that Spotify rocks playlists and discovery, unmatched.

Rob.

1 Like

I have a new model 3, after coming from a volt with android auto, and Ive been using roon, tidal, pocket cast, google play music etc for some time. I would say that somebody could come along and help with the audio playback in car market in same way that roon has done with home audio. But I donā€™t have a great vision on how they enter that market. Spotify in the Tesla is ā€¦interesting. Spotify just sees the car as another audio target, so whether you have your phone off, sitting in android auto mode or just normally charging, it kinda syncs loosely to what is happening on the screen. This is not ideal but the screen on the model 3 is so large it makes up for the interface crankiness. But. Could do better. Roon perhaps is better partnering with a niche player such as tesla, esp. given they at least support USB flac playback (!), I can see them making a totally kick ass and unique service that coordinates and plays back local storage files, tidal, spotify and others, the server perhaps just runs on the car.

2 Likes