Roon module for Home Assistant

I can confirm it’s fixed. Thanks!

When I restart my HA instance, I always have to re-enable the “home_assistant” extension in Roon for the HA integration to start up. Is that normal. I’ve had the issue for a while. It’s possible it’s caused by my network configuration - Roon and HA are on different vlans, though they are allowed to speak with one another. Roon is actually on two vlans, in case that’s relevant. It’s not a big deal but I do have to pay attention to it.

1 Like

You need to uninstall and reinstall your roon integration.

The roon integration only stores the roon key when initially installed.

If the key isn’t found you can re-enable on a restart - but the key returned isn’t stored for next time.

1 Like

Thanks - a re-install did fix the issue. I moved my core onto a new device not too long ago. I assume that’s what got me into that state. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

@Marcel_van_der_Veldt can you update the link for getting this from you first post…

this is now 404 https://github.com/marcelveldt/roon-hass
cheers

Looks like @Marcel_van_der_Veldt hasn’t been around here since 2019.

I’m sure you know this, @wizardofoz, but the link is now RoonLabs music player - Home Assistant

1 Like

Is there a way to delete a device/zone without having to remove and re-add the entire integration? I noticed I can’t delete the device (it’s greyed out) from the entities page.

You can disable devices - but not remove them.

As you say the easiest way to really remove old ones is to remove and then re-add the integration.

This is usually painless - as all you lose are the locations of the roon devices. The devices come back with the same names and ids, so your automations and dashboards will still work.

On very rare occasions you may need to restart HA between removing and re-adding.

If guess you could do a HA backup first if you want to be cautions.

Anyone else notice the extension seems to need re-enabling in Roon more often?

The HA roon extension only stores the roon key when it is installed and enabled.

So if the extension needs to be re-enabled, you should delete and reinstall it.

Otherwise the key won’t be stored - and you’ll need to re-enable each time the HA connection is lost.

Every time I reboot Roon or HA now I get prompted in Roon to re-enable. In the past this wasn’t the case. Once in a blue moon I would have to re-enable. I thought maybe it was the firewall on my Roon server but I disabled it and it still occurs. I suspect a recent (this month?) HA change caused this.

You need to remove the roon integration from HA, and then re-add it (and re-enable in roon).

If that doesn’t work.

1. Remove the HA roon integration.
  2. Reboot your HA server
  3. Re-add and re-enable the HA roon integration

I’ll give that a try thanks. Assuming this works, how often should I be asked to re-enable?

Never!

My roon core shuts down overnight - and I never have to re-authorise.

This did the trick. Not sure why it got out of whack in the first place though.

1 Like

Usually changing your core, or deleting the roon extension key in the roon app.

But there may be other ways, perhaps even some roon core upgrades.

My wife is away this week - so I’ve been doing some experimenting!

I’m really liking these remote controls from IKEA. They talk over Zigbee, so it’s possible to use them in home assistant to control roon - without any extra IKEA infrastructure. You do need a Zigbee gateway in your home assistant of course.

They have 7 buttons -

1. play/pause
  2. next track
  3. previous track
  4. volume up
  5. volume down
  6. one dot
  7. two dots

The one dot and two dot I have customised to start my favorite radio station, and to turn off the zone.

Of course there have been some challenges. Home Assistant has some blueprints for IKEA controllers, but not this one - so I’ve hacked one of the others. Plus I needed to upgrade the firmware of the controllers to a newer version (the firmware as supplied didn’t publish events for all the buttons.

Home assistant has at least three Zigbee integrations - which work slightly differently!

So a bit of a challenge to get working - but once working they are good and low cost.

If others are interested let me know and I can share the code / setup.

2 Likes

Nice solution! Is this also working using a IKEA TRÅDFRI hub in the house?

1 Like

Greg may be able to add more. But AFAIK the TRÅDFRI gateway integration in HA can only control lights, you can’t use it receive key presses from the remote.

The TRÅDFRI Shortcut button, Remotes and motion sensor only send information about their battery status, no events, to Home Assistant and thus can’t be used to automate with. If you want to automate with these devices, you need to use something like ZHA.

You’ll instead need to use one of the supported ZigBee adaptors. Which includes the HA branded SkyConnect ZigBee USB adaptor.

As Greg mentions above there are several means of integrating ZigBee into HA. But the the ZHA (Zigbee Home Automation) integration is probably the most native and tightly integrated option.

1 Like

I’m afraid I’ve never tried a TRADFRI hub.

My first HA setup used a few hubs including Hue and Vera (for zwave).

As HA improved I was able to get rid of them and just use HA directly - which is less complicated (and uses less power) - so I would avoid buying another if I can.

But sounds like @j_a_m_i_e knows the answer anyway.

Like with Roon - I have two HA instances - one at home - and one in the studio.

The studio is much simpler - but still has a mix of zwave and Zigbee devices. It was a much more recent install.

At home I use deconz for zigbee (with a raspbee board) - which was probably the best option a while back when I moved from Philips Hue. In the studio I use zha with a Skyconnect USB.

So my IKEA controllers are currently setup to work with deconz.

I think the blueprint I hacked is capable of working with both - although I haven’t tried it with zha in the studio.

If there is interest here - I’d say it’s probably best to get zha - and that would probably convince me to start to migrate my deconz setup at home.

I think both deconz and zha can co-exist in HA, as long as they don’t share a zigbee board/stick.