So I’m slowly making the transition from LMS to Roon.
This is painful process to be honest because I had LMS heavily integrated into all parts of my house and daily routines, including Spotify. Well, long story short I’ve decided to try to get it all converted to “Roon style”.
One of the major bumps was the lack of a proper integration with Home Assistant, my home automation software.
As I’m pretty familiar with python I decided to create my own hass module which is now working pretty well. Are there any other users out here in the same boat as me using Home assistant ?
In that case, are you interested in giving this module a test drive ?
A few details:
- Full control of all outputs and zones
- Newly added zones are automatically added to hass
- Removed/disabled zones are automatically removed from hass
- Full playback control, including power and volume controls
- Control of zone grouping / syncing
- Full info about track currently playing in a zone, including cover
- Start playback of playlist by name
- Start playback of radio by name
- Auto add available playlists and radios into a input select for easy automations
- Fully async compatible for fast responses
- Uses a combination of active polling in combination with web sockets events on the Roon api to determine if zones have changed info
On my TODO list:
- support playback of url / file locations, so far this is not available in the Roon api
- TTS and notifications support (have a Roon zone read you the daily news for example)
Offcourse when setup correctly this is all compatible with Amazon Alexa etc.
I’m now using it myself since a few days and must say that it’s working perfectly fine so far.
Please give it a test drive and share your feedback here. Pretty sure there will be some bugs I overlooked so let’s find them, and once stable, maybe (with Roon’s permission) I can submit it to the Home Assistant guys for inclusion.
Get the component here: