Roon needs to do better when services are down

Perhaps I am just unlucky this evening but it appears tidal is either down or a bit tits up. Thats fine these things happen. But roon just dies, it dies a death and the Roon team need to do better on this.
I cannot search, I understand why but Roon needs a methodology whereby it understands its not getting a response, informs the user but returns results form other sources.

Roon, you need to do better here. Sorry.

9 Likes

I think Roon is having issues with search. I donā€™t have Tidal any more, just Qobuz and server files. In the Qobuz app, search is working quickly. In Roon, searches are very slow.

1 Like

I agree but Iā€™m not sure what the ā€œserviceā€ is that might be crippling Roon tonight. I say this because after a couple of years of using Roon with only a handful of serious outages I am only here tonight (UK time) to see if others, like me, are experiencing Roon going a bit ā€œtits upā€ as you put it. I am seeing it really misbehave tonight, either failing to load info from the core or loading a bit of a page and then hanging with the animated Roon symbol. Sometimes killing the iOS remote process and restarting it then gets the stuck page to load but when I click on another link it usually gets stuck again.

The thing is though is that Iā€™m a Qobuz user and not a Tidal user. Maybe both Tidal and Qobuz are glitching simultaneously tonight or maybe there is something else going on. Iā€™ve resorted to using Qobuz via its native app tonight & hoping this all gets back to normal by tomorrow.

2 Likes

Not Qobuz specific. Same with Tidal through Roon

2 Likes

Same problem here. I can get into Qobuz in a Web Browser. Roonā€™s just goin its version of the spinning beach ball familiar to Mac Users.

I think its down to tidal, if I log out roon returns to normal.

They need to not be reliant on online though, I have complained about this before when internet goes down and I cannot even listen to my own music, roon needs to sort that out, its unacceptable. They have even acknowledged it. Perhaps less time pissing around the peripheries and sort out genuine usability issues.

3 Likes

FYI, on my system (Rock on Intel NUC) also no or slow responses.
With none, either Tidal or Qobuz or both enabled, it doesn`t really matter.

Itā€™s happening across the boardā€¦ see Canā€™t load discography - #28 by PixelPopper

Something, somewhere is amissā€¦ Iā€™m getting reacquainted with my library whilst discography, search and Qobuz new releases etc. wonā€™t load :blush:

Roonā€™s increasing usage and dependence on cloud based services is becoming a millstone around the products neck. Were there not issues last weekend too?
If internet or individual cloud services are not available, Roon should be designed to fail gracefully and allow the user access to local content. Error messages should replace the Roon jelly fish after a short timeout. Roon can then operate in ā€˜offline or localā€™ mode until it is restarted.

Having a reliable internet connection isnā€™t enough if the cloud services are having issues (whether due to Roon or supplier issues).

Having worked in IT, I was amused by usage of the phrase ā€˜tits upā€™, which is actually an acronym we used to use for ā€˜Total Inability To Support Usual Performanceā€™. :rofl:

10 Likes

Selling a service derived from things youā€™re not totally in control of is dangerous.

6 Likes

Selling a service derived from things youā€™re not totally in control of is dangerous.

Welcome to the world of cloud computing.

1 Like

Come on, get real!
Do you realize that most services, which you probably take for granted and donā€™t even waste a thought on when using, are dependant on an infrastructure woven by many different entities?
You actually knew this, right?

That said, Iā€™m also for Roon to implement some graceful fallback to ones local content while informing about backend problems with meaningful error messages.

5 Likes

I never knew :upside_down_face: ā€¦ but local search should still work.

2 Likes

When I last checked, local search did work for me but with a delay while it tried to reference Tidal.

When it all breaks down I still have all my music on hard drive (backed up) and enough vinyl to last the rest of my life. I have learnt that anything borrowed and internet related may not still be there in the morning.

5 Likes

Control is an illusion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course - substantially your constatation looks true.
But do not you try to suggest that customers who are secured by a purchase and sale agreement ought to deviate from legitimate claims to internet providers or software developers?
I do not think soā€¦

1 Like

As always, there are many truths, but of course my illusion is true. :rofl:

It is certainly not wrong to drive on two tracks. Whether I have to own everything as a CD and/or LP is another question that everyone answers differently for themselves.

Ownership can be a joy or a burden. Rent is not better or worse, just differently preferred. Save money or spend it as you like. More supply is not disadvantageous.

There is a purchase and sale agreement but there is no compensation written into that contract. It is ā€˜best effortā€™ and apart from walking away, your only recompense might be to be refunded for that time you were without your subscribed service.

1 Like

All roon need to do is sort their software out so that a. When internet goes down it should still work. For me it usually goes belly up either cannot be accessed locally or so slow as to be useless

No such issue with plex in the same scenario

B. These outages particularly at peek times are not a good look. Sorry but your ai that can only seem to suggest genesis or Emerson lake and palmer is not good enough to justify it.

Thanks