Roon network security

Why, when I turn on my laptop to run Roon remote, do I get the Windows warning message that RAAT is attempting to run on a public network? I know better than to click allow, but I can’t count on other people in the household to know better. Is there a setting to fix this? Would the setting be on my core, remote PC, or both? I had my accounts hacked and unauthorized credit card purchases through Amazon last month for the first time ever, and could not figure out how that happened. Please help and thanks in advance.

Windows has been told your network is public. A home network would normally be considered private. To get rid of the warning you need to change the status of your network.

1 Like

Possibly your Windows network and internet settings on your laptop. If your Windows network and internet settings are set up for a public network, they are more restrictive to protect your information. As long as you recognize the network and are sure it is your’s and not your neighbors, I think you can click OK. Or, you may need to change the network and internet settings for your laptop.

1 Like

See here for a discussion about private and public network profiles in Windows 10. You may have specified a public profile for your home network.

The profile setting doesn’t affect the actual security of the network, that depends on the settings in your router. If you think that your home network is insecure you should check that WPA2 encryption is activated and change your password to one using 20 characters.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check my windows settings on all household computers. I’m obviously not computer competent. So if they’re all set to public it doesn’t automatically open my wifi network to my neighbors? I’ll also check my Spectrum account, but I’m sure that is password protected. So as long as my Spectrum Wifi requires a password no matter what my Windows settings are my network is safe from outsiders? Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for the help. Stay safe & well everyone.

Public and private is more around visibility and lockdown.
If you say to windows that you are on a public network it will hide and lock settings to make you more secure. This is the wrong settings for use at home.
There you set it as private so it unlocks and releases settings as the expectation is that your own network is more secure.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4043043/windows-10-make-network-public-private

1 Like

Public network means like you have a laptop and you are at a coffee shop using their wifi. So it does not change how your WiFi router is set up, it is more that it changes where your computer thinks it is. If you are home, and you have a firewall, then you are likely better off configuring as a private network.

3 Likes

No one can guarantee this, but it isn’t affected by your choice of profile for a Windows device accessing your home network…

You mentioned that you have had your accounts hacked with unauthorized credit card purchases through Amazon. When that occurs it is prudent to change all relevant passwords, including on your home network. Using WAP2 and a longer password (20 characters) makes it harder to brute force your home network. Make sure you write down your password and store it in a secure location so you can always retrieve it as required.

1 Like

Yes I did all that (my wifi password isn’t 20 characters long though) and changed my card even. I’ll keep my network settings at private. Was just questioning based on some of the replies. Whoever was ordering stuff on Amazon managed to do so without any orders showing in my order history. They were sending expensive items to somewhere out of my state. There’s no actual reason ( other than coincidence in when I started Roon) to think my Roon settings were to blame or something. I just noticed that warning today and set me to worrying. I’m not trying to be alarmist or imply anything bad about Roon. Thanks for all quick answers from all! This forum has been very helpful every time I’ve needed help…Not so much with Audirvana support :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have 3 cash-back credit cards I alternate using every few months. I have been hacked 3 times over the past 3 years. It’s going to happen, you can’t prevent it. I log into each account everyday to make sure there are no fraudulent charges. Usually, before I see it, the credit card company has detected it and contacted me. In the USA, most credit cards don’t hold you accountable for any fraudulent charges if you catch it relatively quickly. They will immediately close your card number and send you a new card with a new number.

1 Like