Roon, new install and a few questions

Hi there,

I am really enjoying Roon after installing about 10 days ago, altough I have a few questions;

After installing about 10 days ago, during the installation Roon asked if I wanted to import some Tidal albums from a number of genres that are supposedly ‘good’ examples of various genres. I said yes for a few genres but I made a mistake and managed to say yes to rap, not sure how I managed this, is there a way to reverse the process? I have deleted most now, but wanted to check. Also, is this a continuous process? As I see a number of albums from Tidal which I don’t remember previously. I actually would not mind if it was continuous but i would like a chance to say yes or no prior to adding.

I am still getting my head around tags and when to use them, vs playlists, any tips though would be appreciated, I have read the guide.

Thanks for any help.

Hey Ross, welcome aboard!

There’s a Knowledge Base article on removing Tidal collections after adding them during the onboarding process:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_I_added_collections_from_Tidal%2C_how_do_remove_that_content%3F

I’m not a big playlist or tag user, so let’s wait for others to chime in on those.

1 Like

I think of Tags as a user defined Filter criteria. If there is something you want to make searchable, which is not included in the various Focus tools, then create a Tag for it. You’ll have to remember to Tag new albums as you get them. You can create a Bookmark to recall a Tag view quickly.

1 Like

Thanks RBM that is really helpful, I have sorted things out much more quickly than before.

On a separate topic, I have been looking at the DSP settings, reading what is available but I am still struggling a bit on what to leave my settings on.

I have an Arcam -IRDAC-II on my PC connected to some Adam F5 speakers and I listen most on this equipment. I am still wrestling whether to use the DSP settings or not, and then choosing between PCM (384hz) or DSD 128. The DSD is quieter that PCM straight away so its difficult to compare like for like. Any advice?

The best judge of whether DSD or PCM sounds better for you, is you.

To my ears DSD is more relaxed and detailed, yielding crisp highs without sibilance. PCM, however, has better attack and I think more impact in the mid bass.

I usually listen to DSD 512 but have been known to comment favourably on the better attack in PCM. Rene, @RBM, prefers PCM as I think did @Rugby, but I’m not sure if that has changed.

All true, but I do have a (Meridian + Dirac) setup that’s very much optimized for PCM.

That, and I dislike DSD. :slight_smile:

Like the voice of reason that is @andybob says, it is all very personal and depending on ears, system and room.

I think my ears might be broken!! Seriously though, I think, possibly, maybe that PCM sounds better with my PC set-up as described. However, I will continue to muck around and I understand the area a bit better now anyway, well, a bit.

I am making plans for a new PC and I am thinking of using my existing Windows 10 PC to run Roon 24/7, possibly headless, but not sure on that. My current PC has a USB DAC connected to it, which I would move to the new machine, which would also be a windows machine.

Would I need to change the current install from ‘roon’ to ‘roon server’? If I didn’t do this, is there any disadvantage?

How would I control or access Roon on my new PC (which would be an endpoint) which would have the DAC connected to it? Is there a Roon remote for Windows 10?

The Roon software for Windows has three functions bundled in it - the Core, the Control (i.e. the Remote) and the Output functions. So installing the Roon software on your new PC would allow it to act as a remote to the Core running on your existing PC. It would also act as the endpoint for your DAC.

If you are going to use your existing PC in headless mode, then it probably makes sense to install Roon Server on it, rather than full Roon. You probably should look at this KB article.

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look through the article. The new PC might have to wait until the new year anyway as my money tree is looking slightly shrivelled!