Roon Nucleus One - preparing music drive question

I’m looking at buying a Nucleus One when available in the UK.

I see that it can have a 2.5” SSD fitted.

My thoughts are to buy a Samsung 870 Evo and put all of my music on there in preparation, such that when the One arrives, I can fit the drive and get rockin’

Is there a specific format that I should use for the SSD (eg NTFS) and does the file structure matter or will the One apply it’s own formatting and the allow music file transfer via the network?

It will apply its own format. You can’t copy the music onto it first, you have to put the SSD into the One, run its formatting routine, and then copy the music onto it over the network. Won’t be different from now:

3 Likes

Spot on!
Exactly what I was looking to understand.
My thanks

1 Like

Reconsider the internal SATA SSD.

About the only advantage to installing one inside the Nucleus, NUC, or mini PC is overall tidiness. Otherwise, the additional SSD takes up internal airspace and generates heat, potentially causing the server to run hotter. And the SSD has to be formatted internally to EXT4 with music files then added over the network.

A SATA SSD formatted to exFAT, put in an external enclosure, and connected to the server via USB is a more versatile and movable option that sidesteps many of the downsides described above.

This is general advice.

AJ

2 Likes

How big an issue is this. I was planning to use internal storage in the new Nucleus (one of my cats has a propensity for nice soft cables).

It’s not a big issue at all. Many users use an internal drive and SSDs get warm not red hot. I hardly think they’d give you the option if was some horrendous disaster in the waiting.
Copy times to the disk will take longer than direct but the initial population will be the hump then it’s minutes.

It is not an issue, per se. It is an option with several internal formatting, network transfer, and external compatibility downsides. Posters here frequently get caught unaware of those downsides.

AJ

OK, something to think about. Thanks.