Roon Nucleus+ (only for Roon Core, no Music Files) and Server Qnap TVS-872XT-i5-16G (only for Music Files and Backup)

Dear David_Snyder,

Thank you for your information on this topic.

OK,
as the Roon Database is located on the internal memory latch of the Nucleus Operating System,
I can remove the internal 4 TB SSD with the music files from the Roon Nucleus.

Sorry for the 2nd misunderstanding,
the internal Roon Nukleus 4 TB SSD with the music files was previously formatted by Roon and this Roon format is not reliably readable by Windows, according to @Danny.
Therefore this SSD is re-formatted by Windows after disassembly from the Roon Nucleus, the old music files are deleted.
These music files are documented 1:1 on the Windows Master SSDā€™s in NTFS format and can be copied 1:1 to an 8 TB SSD in Qnap, so that Roon sees the same music files as on the internal 4 TB SSD.

The external USB-A 4 TB SSD, with the other music files, was formatted before the first use of Windows NTFS and can therefore be installed in the Qnap in its present form without any changes.
Here too, Roon will see the music files again 1:1,
also this 4 TB SSD can be installed in the Qnap without any changes,
whatā€™s wrong with that?

One aspect,
which I do not yet understand,
why not install SSDā€™s in the server Qnap?
although Qnap does not deny this in any way and has even provided SSDā€™s and HDDā€™s for this purpose, the Qnap also works with SSDā€™s, according to Qnap.

Have a nice Sunday evening and thank you very much.

Best regards

Michael

Adding a minor note to what has already been said on storing music on a NAS versus internally/attached to a Nucleusā€¦

Other users have pointed out that new music added to a NAS is not immediately available in Roon on a Nucleus ā€“ you have to setup scheduled rescans in Roon to find them. Because of this, your NAS will never sleep. This may not be an issue for you but you should be aware of it if you were planning on your NAS sleeping when not in use.

Iā€™ve not studied the Qnap docs, but Iā€™m 99.7% certain this is not the case. The Qnap will almost certainly want to reformat any drives (SSD or HDD) that you insert into it.

I guess give this your best shot. Since you are not open to using HDDs in your new NAS, thereā€™s not much more I can offer to help. Good luck.

IIRC, the default automatic rescan interval is every 4 hours, which should allow the NAS to sleep some. This interval can be increased to every 24 hours or only at startup if desired.

I donā€™t need periodic rescans since I always force a rescan when I add new content. I imagine many NAS users do the same.

This was a comment for the OP.

Meta comment: Iā€™ve found private messages handy for that sort of thing in this forum. Just click on the userā€™s name and pick ā€œMessageā€

Because it is a waste of money given that they canā€™t be used to their full potential that way. They will not be any faster than regular hard disks, which cost a small fraction of their price per Tb. The noise and heat difference is also irrelevant, because the processor in the NAS would be the main driver for heat and noise, so thatā€™s something youā€™d want away from your listening environment anyway. Yes, thereā€™s a reliability advantage, but if youā€™re running a bunch of disks in a NAS, which, again, is not a good idea with Roon for reasons others have explained, then you can pretty much achieve identical uptime with regular hard drives.

As I and others suggested, your SSDā€™s would be MUCH better used directly attached. If having everything on one USB port is important to you, this can be accomplished with a $75 OWC enclosure, but that is not as good a solution than just putting them in two $15 enclosures (which offer redundancy of controllers).

1 Like

you can also find similar controllers that will raid mirrorā€¦ itā€™ll give you fault tolerance (but no backup)

but yahā€¦ Iā€™m with some others on this topicā€¦ the NAS is a relic of the past ā€“ there are much better solutions now.

3 Likes

I would install the largest SSD inside my Nucleus that the Nucleus will take. Then, I would install two of the largest possible SSDā€™s in two USB enclosures and attach them to my Nucleus. I would do scheduled back-upā€™s of the Roon database to a network connected computer.

If youā€™re talking of the OWC boxes, they do that - little switch at the back that allows you to pick two independent drives, RAID 0 and RAID 1. If youā€™re looking for a small mirrored DAS, theyā€™re great.