Roon Nucleus verses Apple Mac Mini M1

An aside here- I just changed the hard drive of my wife’s 2012 Macbook Pro to an SSD - fairly whizzes along now)

1 Like

It can’t do upconverting to poly-sinc-xtr-mp and ASDM7EC to DSD512. It can at DSD256. However, my DAC sounds superior with the settings below compared to poly-sinc-xtr-mp/ASDM7EC/DSD256

1 Like

:+1:t2:

How about from a 16/44.1 source?

It can’t do upconverting on anything to poly-sinc-xtr-mp and ASDM7EC to DSD512. It can at DSD256

1 Like

Contrary to some popular beliefs that Roon sounds the same all different machines, OSes provided it has sufficient CPU and memory. I have found that Roon sounds better on powerful servers, even I only run Roon Server as the only user process on that machine, the rest are the system processes.

I know this document and it was the reason why I ask.

hi there, how to access those options? can you help me? I have also a Mac mini and I can’t send multi Channel to my maranta via HDMI what I could do it before from my QNAP. I can’t believe I can’t do it from my Mac… thanks

I found out how to set it for multi channel !! interesting…

did you get it working on the M1 mini? how many channels?

I have what amounts to a high end gaming machine/workstation running ubuntu server, fully water-cooled, and music stored on a ZFS pool. Roon literally blazes along on it. With a JCAT Net Card it sounds fabulous as well. It also lets me use a GPU to assist with HQPlayer.

Haven’t found nucleus to be noticeablely better sounding nor less buggy then elderly Mac mini previously used solely as Roon server (w reasonable ram) And not sure adding an ultra rendu w s booster was worth it either
And my system pretty resolving
Source critical but those changes are pretty subtle

1 Like

Why would you use USB ? Simaudio Moon 390 is Roon Ready. Connect both the M1 Mini and SimAudio to the local network (ethernet) and you will be good to go. CAT5/CAT6 ethernet cable, the dirt cheap ones.

In a Roon Ready environment, ethernet is always preferred over USB.

3 Likes

Latest update with 11.3 leaves my M1 working Roon just flawlessly as my Core! Dang it’s fast! I don’t use any ethernet to get data to my Roon Server to input my electronics.

1 Like

WOW…Water Cooled??? Does that have a fan and radiator too? The cool thing (really no pun intended) is the new M1 chip runs even in a iPad configuration with absolutely no problems cooling. I have already heard of a rumored M2 for you power users …see how AC current and cooling that set up requires…

Just to be clear, my M1 Mac is not water cooled, its just my desktop. The linux machine has an AMD 5950x and an nVidia 3090 GPU. It has two radiators and 7 fans and I can’t hear a thing from it until I get very close to it.

I find 11.3 to be a nice improvement as well. I am not using my Mini as my core, but 11.3 has made a definite improvement in performance.

1 Like

Jason,

All that cooling and it’s quiet? Pretty cool…! And Yes I did not think the M1 was water cooled since it can operate fine enclosed in an iPad! I’ve 11.3 also and it running great with Roon! I was a windows guy for a long time until the first iPhone came out…I enjoy Apple’s Customer service so much I will never use any other company’s set up for a PC. I’ve have bought in to their ecology of devices communicating with each other.

I’ve tried all the other OSs and I just like using Mac OS the most. I was a bit hesitant when they announced the ARM transition, but the M1 has made me a believer. This mini is an incredible machine.

Yep, its quiet, robust, running on the ZFS file system, and sounds great.

3 Likes

M2 chips are reported to be released second half of the year. That may be the all in one RoonServer+HQPlayer DSD512 with ASDM7EC machine.

Probably be more in line with Nucleus pricing. Just needs an arm roon core to really shine.

1 Like

I got my mac mini m1 as well… I am getting 4x processing speed when I handle DSD64 6 channels. is that right? it doesn’t seem that great I was getting the same processing speed with my QNAP i7 intel (TVS-871) anyway…

1 Like