Roon Nucleus verses Apple Mac Mini M1

Yikes my MAC Mini M1 1TB 16 MG of “Unified Memory” to replace my 2012 iMac as my my Roon Core I use a 2012 MAC Mini 1TB SSD 16 MG RAM that is my Roon Server. Supposed to be here Monday…My Yggy DAC only does up 192KHz so that dang M1 better be capable of that output or it’s worthless to me…

1 Like

I can send 768 Hz from M1 to my DAC (the limit of the DAC) via USB, so that is no problem.

1 Like

I currently have a SimAudio 390 which has a USB TYPE B input and I was considering getting a Apple M1 Mini to run ROON core. If I did this what sort of cable would I need that would connect the 390 to the M1 MacMini? If I use this output from the Mini would I be getting 192K/24 bit audio?

What fantastic machine it is! Eat my Roon Core PC (iMac i7 3.5Ghz @ 4GHz with 24gigs RAM and SSD) on breakfast, no doubt. M1 have great potencial. Like Danny said: faster than Intel in same work, better memory optimisation (16GB version is far, far better than my iMac, I think that 8GB standard also works much better). New level of multitasking (on Intel you have pregnant cow), super fast & super response. Only I/O could be better.

In my Core (iMac) I have 3-4x when DSP run, PCM-DSD on fly @11.2MHz, when I play smith via NAA @512 its 1,2-1,6x, and OS sometimes have slow-mo. Many end-points (PC / Sonos/ SB and Roon Ready) here and system works on the verge of efficiency. With M1 …no sweat. Wow. So, my next Core machnie will be Mac Mini. Its 100% better (and 1/3 price - iMac near 3k and new one 1k - not bad). I tested M1 few days (friend, also a lot of stuff) and I’m in.

1 Like

many times…Im not so green behind the ears mate :wink: Oh and for the record my 2014 MacMini i5 works faultlessly to the same AVR same cables etc in 8 channel 24/192 on HDMI

You also cannot select Exclusive mode either, otherwise is a great Mac for an endpoint/remote.

reloading the OS from restore is a PITA to say the least - follow along here

This is the issue and it seems they think it’s are in the hardware Apple said on the phone in not so many words but I have a ticket open and will follow up next week during office hours.

1 Like

Yes had this issue too…Softraid doesn’t work at all - but that might have a fix coming but you cant boot off the drives. I have a 2 SSD 4TB raid 0 OWC 4M2 chassis and have taken 2 of the other 2TB cards out and installed in TB3 OWC Envoy Express chassis and the M1 Mini can see these drives no issues.

1 Like

My Mini will be connected to my DigiOne Signature (the endpoint) via Ethernet, so no worries there for me.

Just a normal USB-A to USB-B cable.

Just finished setting up a new basic M1Mac mini last night. So far I’m super happy with how things are going, I’m not planning on adding a RAID so this is irrelevant to me, if anything I may add an external drive to store download music purchases, but honestly my streaming services along with streaming radio give me more than I need so this may not happen. I came close to getting a Nucleus for reason already mentioned but I finally decided that this was a better choice for me. I’m currently having an exciting time familiarizing my self with Roon and it’s features.
Best wishes

RC.

2 Likes

rockphotog
Thanks for the response on my cable question.

Halfway into an SSD upgrade on my Mini (older) I was ready to make a Mini M1 vs Nucleus decision myself!

I’d done drive swaps before, but this was a server mini, and there’s an extra drive, which is harder to get to, and makes for a slightly more challenging install. Thought i’d mucked up a connector, and killed the thing, but it’s ok.

Anyway, an upgraded SSD does make a BIG difference in speed/responsiveness with the Roon core. I mean, huge.

It was feeling a bit pokey, but the new drive is higher quality, plus has more space. It’s blazing fast. Instantaneous.

Anyway, a nucleus is probably awesome, but a well-appointed mini works great if you have one.

This is why is a documented as a MINIMUM REQUIREMENT for Roon.

Roon says this so you get a good Roon experience out of the box…alsong with CPU and REM etc.

SSD is recommended. A HDD works, so an SSD is not a technical minimum requirement. Slower? Yes, must not a showstopper.

Given the growth of customers with wide ranging libraries, I think a targeted tier of minimum specs per library size would be a good idea.

For example, The SSD vs HDD. There is a library size where the slow HDD speed becomes a showstopper. Just like there is a library size where a slower than i3 CPU becomes a showstopper.

My M1 MAC Mini shows up today…it will be my Roon Core as it will replace my current 2012 iMac. I will still use my dedicated 2012 MAC Mini for my Roon Server. I hope loading a new Roon Core will be easy because I want a clean install and not going to use Time Machine to transfer my data.

curious… how much storage do you have that you need to RAID?

Could be for backup purposes.

I only have around 300 CDs or so, ripped, so I didn’t need a huge drive. Existing drive was the Mini’s stock 250GB SSD, which had the library. It was nearly full. (Second drive in the mini runs the OS and apps.)

Upgraded to 1T, which, besides being a better drive, is also much bigger. I’m sure that extra space helps with efficiency.

It matters very little how many CD’s you have, its the number of tracks in the library (even streaming services content added) that your Roon Core has to manage and link data to etc and this is where the speed of the SSD comes into play as this database accessed often and a slower HDD will make access sluggish compared to the Roon experience that Roon want users to experience. HDD will work no doubt but it well perhaps not be the best interactive experience that you could be getting.

You might compare it to taking public transport like a bus (HDD) than going by motorbike (SSD). Both will get you to where you need to go but your time taken will be very different.

With respect to size, my 250GB SSD was nearly full, and from my experience, a nearly full drive is rarely happy. No changes to library, but the new 1T SSD has sped everything up. Might be because of quality of drive, might be because there’s more available space. Ahdunno.

Anyway, I never had an HDD in the mix. Only SSD.