Roon Nucleus verses Apple Mac Mini M1

Hey Danny - I don’t really think 4TB in a RAID 0 (2 x 2TB) is excessive as DAS goes. My music is On a 16TB HDD in my core and backed up to 2 different NAS’ with 40TB and 24TB much of that is for backups of photos and videos over many years. Some VM images and time machine backups. Most of my documents, photos and VMs on the Mac are symlinked to external drives too.

The 4TB Raid 0 is a softraid setup and as such can’t be booted from which I fount rather annoying. With apples pricing of SSD upgrades now I will be using all external TB3 SSD’s and spending the extra on RAM which seems to be hoovered up by Roon Core with my large 270K track library :wink: at least for the MacMini M1 I got 8GB is far from enough.

Always have at least 20% free space on any drives in your system but especially a boot drive.

Time machine is to be avoided for a roon reinstall…backup database and restore if the only way you should use to do this move.

Did you go with the 16GB or only 8GB ram? 265 SSD is ample for a roon only setup.

Mr Wizard,

The way I want to do it is, only pull off of my iMac only Photos and Documents. The tricky part will be using the same wireless Keyboard and mouse for both systems until I get the data transferred. I think I can just toggle on and off Bluetooth for keyboard and mouse access… I have the 1TB, 16GB “Unified Memory” unit and can’t wait to get it going tomorrow morning!

2 Likes

Good luck…enjoy

I just thought about installing a fresh copy of Roon Core…how should I pull that off?

If there is nothing else there to start with then just install… use the help pages to find info how to remove roon completely if you have messed it up.

1 Like

Mr Wizard,

Thanks for all your help…I’ll check back in once she’s up and running!!!

Very interested to learn what the problem and solution is.
I have comparable problems with other computers:
MacBook Pro 13inc 2020 with 4 Thunderbolt ports used together with either a Dell WD19 TB dock or a Hyperdrive Thunderbolt 3 USB-C hub.
I don’t get the output to multichannel on HDMI even if the track is multichannel. Yet the AVR sees it as multichannel, simply without any input on the other channels, i.e. they remain silent. That AVR works perfectly with other multichannel HDMI inputs.

It appears to be a general problems with computers: also with some older laptops I can’t get the multichannel over HDMI (laptop directly via HDMI to AVR).

Do all NUCs support multichannel in high res (>=24 bit, 192 kHz) or does that vary as well? I the M1 Mac mini does not support this, then it is not a good option for me as it necessarily also needs to function as endpoint.

Mac Mini M1 does support multichannel over HDMI, but I know about configuration problems with some AVRs with MacOS in general.

well yes and no… of I select anything else other than 2 channel it goes back too 2 channel…forget about other than 16/48K

1 Like

Are you using Roon or other player software? Exclusive mode works that you don’t have to care about the MacOS preferences at all. I saw one that got it solved, but the post was from 2014. One problem was that the TV via the AVR and not the AVR itself reported it’s capabilities to MacOS.

Exclusive mode fails with device in use. It is just not practical to use Macmini m1 as Hdmi output. If you think you can do better by all means get one and show us the way. Of course I’m using only Roon.

Got my M1 running! My Roon app works great it seems…That Rosetta conversion software bridge seems to work! Just took 6 hrs + to migrate my data…

I have not listened to Multi Channel music since joining Roon…too lazy to play my Blu Ray player. I cannot even imagine how much a multi channel DAC costs???

Are you using an external drive or did you spring for a larger internal?

1 Like

I guess you mean an AVR or AV processor connected via HDMI if for 5.1/7.1? From cheap (few hundred dollars/pounds/euros) to many 000s. I have an AVR connected via HDMI to my NUC that runs ROCK+Core if I need to get multi-channel out of Roon for some reason.

1 Like

Well I have a very modest collection just under a TB versus some I’ve read on here that have like 10TB worth of music…My M1 is the Roon Core, I use another MAC Mini for my Library on Roon Server.

Don’t know if I can. Got both M1 and a 7.1 Denon AVR, so I can do a test over the holiday. If someone could link to free multichannel music that would be great - maybe L2 got some test files?

2L sure does. It is at:
http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

What makes the Roon Nucleus so expensive considering inter alia that it requires additional storage and has no optical drive: in the UK at £1550? I do not deny that it appears to be a good product, but can the hardware and software really be that expensive? What I like about it is that it automatically rips audio CDs to FLAC, unlike MacOS. I won’t be getting the new Mac Mini as a dedicated music server / streamer for Roon, as Apple quality is dropping; serious software issues on the new MacBook Pro a case in point.