Roon Nucleus versus Small Green Computer

They normally respond very quickly using there message box on their site. When I was having a minor issue we did speak over the phone once after the initial contact using the messaging app.

1 Like

Support from Small Green Computer has been absolutely stellar and I can not recommend them and their products enough. I would much rather have a sonicTransporter i5 or i7 than a Roon Nucleus! It is a much more flexible product.

3 Likes

Paging @agillis

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

@Dcrook23 I would be happy to talk to you on the phone. Can you go to my smallgreencomputer.com website and click on contact us? In the message give me your phone number and I’ll call you or just your email and I’ll email you with my phone number.

Thanks. Just emailed you.

1 Like

Also there is a lot of discussion of our products in our section of the Roon forum.

https://community.roonlabs.com/c/audio-products/small-green-computer

1 Like

Yep, spoke to Andrew in length. Totally agree with your assesment. We reviewed their history along with their plans for the future = good vibes, high value. We’re going to purchase a package for out client and a demo system for our office. Of note, they’ve got a nice webpage that helps with the selection process which we missed while on the road this week.

1 Like

Not to beat a dead horse, but flexible and high-fidelity don’t really go together even with computers. If so, you could just use a Mac mini. Right? :slight_smile:

What use is your bizarre post??

The sonicTransporter is far more flexible than a Nucleus. Just look at the list of software that you can run on the sonicTransporter.

1 Like

I am more concerned about quality than flexibility, so–if flexibility is all you want–get a MAC MINI as I said, NOT A NUCLEUS–and run almost everything out there.

For Roon alone, I found Roon OS (which runs on either a ROCK’ed Intel NUC or Roon’s Nucleus) to be the best sound quality (to my ears, my system) to RAAT endpoints.

But one beauty of the sonicTransporter i7 is Roon + HQPlayer Embedded running on the same machine. Depending on your DAC and your personal preferences of course, HQPlayer can be something quite special in terms of sound quality… playing to a HQP NAA endpoints.

So that’s one example where I found (to my ears) the sonicTransporter i7 performed better - both convenience and sound quality.

Granted, I appreciate not everybody is interested in HQPlayer though. Everybody’s preferences will vary though and that’s ok. These were just my personal observations/experiences/preferences.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

1 Like

I found Roon on a NUC using Rock to be no better than a sonicTransporter i5 when both use RAAT to an ultraRendu. The sonicTransporter i5 with Roon/HQPlayer Embedded to an ultraRendu (NAA) is in a completely different league. The sound quality took a big step up.

1 Like

Agree there. Convenience (single machine) and sound quality (HQPe & NAA).

1 Like