Roon on Fedora 24

Roon is running fine… Mind you, I have both SELinux and firewalld disabled.

I have neither disabled and I’m running RoonServer on Fedora 30, under a new user “roon” instead of as root. I initially installed the software manually to /home/roon but systemd couldn’t start it, giving roon.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /home/roon/RoonServer/start.sh: Permission denied errors in journalctl. It turns out SELinux doesn’t like service code in home directories (look for avc errors in journalctl, not just roon service errors)… So I moved RoonServer to /opt/ , but it still didn’t work because I had to reset the security context of the files to avoid the taint of home with sudo restorecon -rv /opt/RoonServer. Then I could start RoonServer with sudo systemctl start roon and even run it as User=roon.

I asked in another thread if anybody knows the parameters for a firewall rule to allow Roon and heard crickets in response.

Someone posted here that in later Roon software, you need to enable UDP port 9103 and TCP ports 9100-9200. You can do this by adding these ports to the default zone (probably “public”) in the graphical Firewall Configuration tool. You can also create a roon-server.xml file for the firewall rule, and load it in with firewall-cmd --permanent --new-service-from-file=/path/to/my/roon.xml; I think you have to kill and restart the firewalld daemon to make this new service show up in Firewall Configuration, and then you can check the service roon-server to enable it.

Here’s the roon-server.xml firewall rule file I created:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<service>
  <short>Roon Server</short>
  <description>Roon Server from Roon Labs plays music per instructions from Roon Controllres</description>
  <!-- per https://community.roonlabs.com/t/cant-find-roon-core-from-remote/1098/8 -->
  <port protocol="tcp" port="9100-9200"/>
  <port protocol="udp" port="9103"/>
</service>

Once enabled I can see my Roon Core from Roon remote on my phone.

With these set up, I think I’ll have a RoonServer that starts automatically in Fedora. I haven’t got into RAAT and other devices, so maybe more needs to be tweaked for the service to work. And me not running roon as the root user will probably stop it from automatically mounting network drives.