Roon on Fedora 34 via wine?

I did have roon working great under wine on Debian but have decided to change to Fedora and i cant manage to get roon working at all under wine.
The error that has came up with the many alterations i have tried are

X Error of failed request:  GLXBadFBConfig
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  391
  Current serial number in output stream:  391

The closest I have managed to get so far is with RoPieee’s script But still no joy.

Has anyone managed to get it running on Fedora?

I’m also struggling to install the Roon gui on Fedora 34. Would be good to hear some success stories!

Did you install the same version of wine as on debian? I noticed that the version of wine from yum is 6.18-1.fc34 which might be too new.

I gave up :frowning: I just started a debian KVM and it is running perfect. sudo apt install q4wine and then ran ropieee’s script and it runs without a glitch.

I just tried ropieee’s script on Manjaro and it worked perfectly first time. Oh well at least I can still run Gnome 40.

1 Like

It’s working for me on Fedora 35. I installed the current stable version of wine (6.0.2) from the winehq repo and ran RoPieee’s script from there. Everything installed perfectly.

Hi Paul,

I have it running on Fedora 35, plain Fedora wine packages (i.e. wine-7.0-0.1rc2.fc35.x86_64), spockfish’s install script, on a D54250WYK Intel nuc.

On Debian bullseye, Debian wine packages, spockfish’s install script, Radeon graphics (AMD 3000G professor), I get executing the startup script:

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at System.Management.SecuredIWbemServicesHandler.ExecQuery_(String strQueryLanguage, String strQuery, Int32 lFlags, IWbemContext pCtx, IEnumWbemClassObject& ppEnum)
   at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
   at Sooloos.Broker.FileBrowser.VolumeAttached.GetInfoFromDrive(String driveLetter, String& model, String& legacyid)
   at Sooloos.Broker.FileBrowser.VolumeAttached.<>c__DisplayClass54_0.<GetPartitionInfoFromMount>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean bPreventDoubleExecution)
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

How did you install wine on Debian? What’s your Debian release?

Hi Nickpi,

I was able to install on debian 11 using the stable version from winehq and then running the RoPieee script.

Hi Greg,

thank you, but still no luck, seems to be the same error as before.

Unhandled Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory.

On Fedora 35, I installed wine and winetricks, (wine-7.0-0.1rc2.fc35.x86_64 and winetricks-20210825-1.fc35.noarch) with dnf from the standard repositories.

In the startup script I removed the scalefactor parameter and changed the path, it boils down to

env WINEPREFIX=/home/$USER/my_roon_instance wine ./my_roon_instance/drive_c/users/$USER/AppData/Local/Roon/Application/Roon.exe

This also worked on 34.

Hi Greg,

got it up and running with winehq-devel,

ii  winehq-devel   7.0~rc4~bullseye-1 amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs

Do you have wine 7 on Fedora 34 already?

Hi Nickpi, I wasn’t running wine when I was on 34, I just put it on 35 a few weeks ago. The stable branch from the winehq repo seems to work out of the box for me on various distros (fedora 35, debian unstable, arch) with the RoPieee script. The only thing I change in the roon startup script is the scalefactor to match what I’m running on my system and everything has been running perfectly on all three systems. I only run roon on wine so I’m good with the stable version.