Roon on linux chromebook

Roon Core Machine

Lenovo Chromebook

Hi, sorry for my poor english, i’m new to this world and have installed Wine on a Chromebook running Linux. After downloading rooninstaller64.exe the folder opens on my desktop but i don’t know how to run it. is it possible to do this from a chromebook with wine?

Thanks!

Perhaps not a direct niet a desirable reply to your query: why not try to install Roon server for Linux? Seems more appropriate and less resource impacting.
I’m running the server on Debian and it works flawlessly.

Welcome to the Roon community, @Danilo_Gallo.

Although you haven’t specified the model, these devices usually have a low power CPU, e.g., MediaTek MT8173C, which is not suitable for running Roon server or the Roon application.

it’s the linux server that I installed but I don’t know how to start the .exe

I experimented with this a month ago. If you enabled the Crostini Linux that runs inside of the Chromebook operating system, that version of Linux is completely sandboxed within Chrome and it can’t properly talk to the rest of your network. So it can’t really do much Roon functionality at all

1 Like

My Roon Core now is on a Windows11 i7 and work fine but i want to dedicate a pc only for roon to be able to use Roon Arc on Android smartphone when i’m not at home

Thank you. I know but i want to ttry. In my Chromebook * CPU: Intel Celeron 5205U dual-core

• RAM: 4 GB DDR4-2400

Okay, whilst not up to scratch, it will probable run Roon server on a lightweight Linux with no GUI.

Install the native Linux version of Roon Server, and control from a Windows machine.

I recommend you use Ubuntu Server (minimal installation) if you’re not familiar with Linux, and use the easy installer script for Roon. There are a few dependencies, but these are described in posts in this category.

thank you! Can you kindly show me the steps to follow or can I find a step by step procedure? at the moment i have linux Debian installed but i can’t run roon.exe. thank you

You can’t run a Windows .exe file in Linux. Wine and Wine Tricks may be used to run an application, but you should be running Roon Server for Linux, which has no graphical interface. Likewise, you shouldn’t run a graphical interface on the Chromebook as there aren’t enough resources for that and Roon Server.

1 Like

Kindly follow the guidance given through this link: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/linux-install

2 Likes

I’ve wine…

Thanks a lot!

I’ll make the point one last time. Do not use Wine to run your core.

1 Like

@Danilo_Gallo because Crostini is in a Chrome sandbox, is won’t work as a Roon server. I had the server set up on my Chromebook, and it wasn’t visible anywhere on my network. This is a deliberate security feature. Maybe if you blow away Chrome OS and just run Linux natively in the Chromebook, then you could install Roon Server and expect it to connect.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.