Roon on small SSDs Windows 8.1 [answered]

Hi
I use a Mac mini on Windows 8.1 on a really small SSD (40 MByte). Unfortunately there is very littel space left for roon, tidal and jriver. Music is on a Nas and in the slot of the Mac there is a 32 GByte SD card.

Q: is there any way to tell roon to write all the background data to the SD card or the NAS instead of the main SSD?

Thanks for helping!

Max

Hey @Max_Moser – unfortunately, this isn’t possible right now. Sorry about that!

@mike, would a symbolic link pointing the Roon folder to a different location not do the trick?

Do you really mean 40MB, not GB? How do you even do that?

If actually 40GB: Roon does take some space for the database but for 1200 albums it’s about 1.5GB. With Windows 8 at about 27GB (can be reduced) that would leave 13GB for software which should be enough for a music system. Unless maybe if you use Tidal separately with offline storage.

@paaj ok, I admit its 40 GB.

Interestingly I was not able to bring windows below 32 GB, inspite of thowing out lots of prrograms and options and choosing file compression. Can I erase any speech control megafiles safely?

Kind regards,
Max

A larger SSD is not that expensive anymore :wink:

Do you use it for more than music streaming? Even 8GB should be enough for three applications (and you wouldn’t even need a separate Tidal app)

Is JRiver (license) limited to Windows? Do you even use it? On my older MacMini, running OSX, I managed perefectly fine with a 32GB SSD. ITunes and Roon only.

Can you find out which folders take most space? Maybe that would give a clue what’s eating up your disk.

@paaj
Thanks for replying!

A larger SSD is not that expensive anymore
But I guess its a lot of work to start from MAc and Boocamp installation
Do you use it for more than music streaming?
only streaming, with roon, Tidal and JRiver 21
Even 8GB should be enough
Windows 8.1 takes 17 GB for System Volume information and 13 GB for Windows
Is JRiver (license) limited to Windows? Do you even use it?
I have a universal licence, but only Windows allows use of the WDM engine which I would like to cascade with roon.