Roon on the go - make it work on the road!

„…since 5 years“ - just to complete that reply.

VPN would be ok, if there would be simple solution and not that „20-steps-until-you-get-there“ install monster.

A working VPN solution is highly dependent on platforms/OSs, topologies (where the core runs) and network architecture (routers, subnets, etc.) that different people have. Which is why these forums are full of “it works great” and “but it doesn’t work for me” posts :slight_smile:

Personally I’ve been mucking with it for a while and still haven’t been able to make Roon on my iPhone see the core through VPN…

1 Like

Tell us more please :slight_smile: Some of us are still trying hard to make it work…

1 Like

Roon recommends ROCK. I run on ROCK. So they should provide a simple VPN tool. In fact it should be part of RoonOS.

Those not running core on the recommended platform? Tough luck. They have to fiddle.

Wow. Hard to answer. Multitude of possibilities how to do it. This is not exactly smallnetbuilder.com forum but as good starting point: it mostly depends on your edge router/firewall.
Some of routers have VPN built in, some not but you can NAT forward some ports and run VPN on dedicated network device like raspi etc.
It really depends on your network topology/hardware, if you have public and static IP addresses etc. Impossible to give universal advice or click’n’go how-to.
Maybe just one advice: any VPN type you will use, don’t forget to export subnet where Roon core sits. Or make static routes. You will have different subnets for VPN and primary LAN.

Sorry guys I would be pleased to help more but… Try to sniff something on some networking forums.

In my case I have OpenVPN, strongSwan (IPsec) and L2TP/IPsec tunnels configured to be able to connect from any client and any OS/platform. I run custom made linux firewall (screwed on wall in technical room :rofl:) on old PC x86_64 motherboard which is powerful enough to do everything (even to run Roon core directly on it :wink: )

Just for fun see small portion of my home topology.

Thanks! This is why it’s a hobby :slight_smile: I have an IT background but not in networking so tons to learn about. If I’m ever successful, I’ll write a post titled “How to make Roon work via VPN for the technically competent but networking ignorant” for all to enjoy.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here. Plex + Plexamp. Does everything you could ever want.

1 Like

You must be joking :joy::joy::joy::joy:

No I’m not joking. If you want your personal and Tidal library on the go it’s the only option at the moment without setting up a VPN. It just works.

That blue device at the bottom, is it to keep hackers out of your home network? What ports do the red valves control?

Library mgmt tools = nonexistant. If you dont need those, fine.

Plenty of management tools within the Plex server itself to suit me anyway.

Have you heard of anyone dropping a Roon subscription in favor of Plex?
Not just for travel, but for all the time.
How’s the sound quality?
Obviously Roon offers many more features - but Plex is also a lot less expensive.
This might be an absurd question, but I’m just curious.

It is Hi-Res audio stream filter. More you open higher quality you get.
(It’s water filter indeed :shushing_face:)

1 Like

Just what I’ve done. I’ve had a Plex lifetime membership for many years now, however they never really showed the music side of things much love in the past and that is the reason I’ve had a Roon membership for the past five years. However recently they have seriously upped their game on the audio side of things and now offer a serious competitor to Roon with the integration of Tidal and now Plexamp. The latest Android version has introduced Android Auto compatibility so everything is on the go. This, plus the fact that Roon is a labour of love has made me decide to leave Roon.

2 Likes

Roon is not exactly perfect in terms of library management. I could live without it but I have it just because of MQA unfolding.

If you want to listen to MQA just use the Tidal app and a suitable DAC.

How does it deal with classical music, especially with the notion of works/movements?

Can’t help there as it’s not my thing.