Roon on the go - make it work on the road!

I do love Roon at home in my living room, but I am not only listening to music while I am at home. That’s why I am asking to enhance Roon that it also works on the road. It should be possible to use Roon without any limitation over mobile networks (Library and Tidal functions) as well as the usage of offline Playlists. The quality could be lower (compressed format).

Right now, I have to use a different “on the go” music client on my mobile phone. This includes a redundant management of library and playlists. This is really a pain.

6 Likes

If you have a search on the forum. Multiple requests and it’s on the development path.

2 Likes

awesome cant wait

Yes it is on the development path but who knows when its going to be ready. I think we are 2 years away from this feature. And I need it today. I just noticed that some of my favorite albums have been removed from TIDAL and I have them on my local library but since I cannot access that library at work or on the go I cannot listen to them. Im really frustrated by this. I might give up TIDAL all together for this crap. I looked at other solutions but they all suck compared to Roon. So this needs to happen sooner rather than later.

I’ve had the same issue - favorites on Tidal that are arbitrarily removed from the catalog.
Myself, I keep my local, ripped and purchased music on a Synology NAS (roon running on there too for now, until I can get a NUC to do the job).
The NAS has an Audio Station player that supports full-resolution playback (even though I tend to set it to convert to mp3 when I’m on the road for bandwidth reasons). By opening a port or two in your router config, it will stream happily to your mobile device. Though I agree getting a native roon player to play remotely is a better proposition altogether, this works for me.

Note: With your music on a home server, it only takes a little tinkering to install a second piece of music server software, open the correct ports in your router, install a mobile app that speaks to the music server from outside your LAN, and Bob’s your uncle. I’m sure there are people on the forum who have done this already and can give software recommendations.

2 years is just a random number though :sunglasses:

I would be happy just accessing my Tidal playlists remotely (still streaming as usual). This would be a great benefit and is pretty low tech.

Take off ankle chains and let Roon out of the house.

2 Likes

Sadly, it’s the one great functionality that Roon is still missing. It is almost 2019 btw…

hey and here I thought I was the only Roon user who listened to music away from home :stuck_out_tongue:

look how many of us there are!!

1 Like

As soon as Roon offers a mobile streaming solution I’ll become a lifetime member. Right now it’s not as useful to me as 90% of my music listening is at work or on the go.

2 Likes

I posted this ealier today, maybe interesting for those of us keen to have a mobile solution…

1 Like

I’ll get on board with Roon, when I can get my tunes on the go. Lossless, or lossy, whatever. Thanks!

1 Like

Does anyone know if a Roon solution for mobile is in the works?
I’m getting tired of having two separate playlists for home (on Roon) and mobile (on Spotify).

The mobile songs don’t need to be lossless, just sync playlists and tags from Roon core.

Try having a look at Subsonic

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

Interesting. A pity it doesn’t support streaming services, unless I’m mistaken.

Same here! I’ve been using SONOS for home and Ipod/Itunes on the go. This works ok for me but it’s pretty frustrating for my artist wife. I’ve only been using Roon for an hour and I am impressed how quickly it assimilated my music and made it available. It’s great … but … not being able to play locally means that I am still stuck with a 2-app solution.

I’m unclear as to the IP/Port to type in when adding a SubSonic server to the app - obviously this can’t be the 192.168.1.xxx IP if I want to access the music from the outside WAN.

I use VPN to home network and it works fine.

That’s not really how subsonic is going to work. It’s not an app you add to a Roon Core. It’s a whole separate deal. You can point it at your library, and it’ll do a stellar job of streaming your music to you - but setup amd use is totally outside of Roon.