Roon on Ubuntu 20.04 weird behavior

Hi guys, I have a dedicated Roon server running Ubuntu 20.04 with 16GB of RAM and for the last two releases (from what I can remember), Roon has been slowly increasing its load usage. This will eventually lead to delay when starting a new song and eventually the famous network too slow error message. Server reboot is the only way to fix this issue.

Has anyone experiencing this issue?

Yes, I have similar experiences: network too slow messages, slow response after some time, dropping endpoints.
There have been periods that everything worked flawless, until the next Ubuntu or Roon update.

Paul

I had this problem constantly on a windows installation but it was mitigated to a great degree when I moved to Ubuntu server. Others have had this issue on Macs. I have seen many, many references to people suffering from it.

There may be more than one cause and Roon may remedy one but not another. It’s been years.

Best I can say is try to see what correlates with the issue. Is it Roon radio, using search, using tags, adding albums, what seems to make it worse. Sometimes it feels like a database performance issue and other times network, and others a Roon backend server thing. At least that may contribute to resolution.

Some have written scripts to reboot every night.

I haven’t used Roon for two days and checked this morning, RoonAppliance was idling but using 18% CPU with 77% RAM. As usual, the music start was delayed by more than 10 seconds, and it all was back to normal after reboot. Now I did change the kernel to a low latency kernel so I switched to the default kernel before reboot to see if this is kernel related or not.

I’ll find out in a couple of days I guess :slight_smile:

Well … after two days, it looks like it was kernel related issue. After I switched to the default kernel, I can see CPU usage stays 0% when idling as it should the server load is next to nothing at 0.02

Even though the sound quality was so much better using a low latency kernel but I prefer stability. :slight_smile:

Which Kernel were you on and which are you now on?

I use Ubuntu 22.04 and I don’t have any problem using Roon even when other processes are using lots of CPU and RAM.

I’ve used Ubuntu Server with a variety of boxes over the last 6 years, from 16.04 to 22.04, streaming over Ethernet to a variety of Roon endpoints, and the server never made any difference to sound quality. I run a relatively simple Roon setup, with little or no DSP in Roon (serious DSP on separate HQPlayer servers, though) but very resolving audio gear. The only way low latency kernel could make a difference is if you are pushing the server hard in some other way that causes streaming glitches, as the data rates and latencies that Roon requires are trivial by the standards of current PCs. Here’s what my core load looks like while playing to one of my endpoints:

2 Likes