Roon Optimized Core Kit (previously reported as Roon OS)

He knows there are risks involved and if it doesnt work is happy to put Windows 10 Pro on it :slight_smile:

I give up…
Bought the specified nuc in december last year to run rock…because it seemed it would be released soon…

Meanwhile installed linux, roon server and hqplayer…
Very happy with it, so I think I will keep using roon like this.

Cannot wait forever…

if you can do this, you dont need ROCK !

But ROCK still has the advantage on efficiency and manageability… I like that Roon web interface!

Hi All, ROCK is rocking! Thanks to the ROON team, very simple install and very responsive OS. Is there any further updates on getting Thunderbolt ports on the NUC’s working?

Thanks

2 posts were split to a new topic: Who makes the Nucleus?

very curious if this will work with ROCK

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/7th-Gen-Intel-Core-i7-7500U-Eglobal-Kaby-Lake-Mini-PC-Windows-10-Max-3/217312_32768180790.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.kkYTYq

I think there are potentially bigger issues. I strongly suspect that the case will not be able to cool an i7 and its graphics chip.

there are reviews nline that say otherwise actually. thanks to its 15W TDP.

Well give it a go then. What have you got to lose other than several hundred dollars!

chill man why so skeptical…there is also a fan version listed here.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/EGLOBAL-Newest-Kaby-Lake-Mini-PC-Win-10-Intel-Core-i7-7500U-Max-3-5GHz-Graphics/217312_32808591024.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.9549SL

@semaj_nitram a fan is that last thing you want running on your audiophile setup unless is hidden away some where in the dark…
@Henry_McLeod There is no graphics to cool, Its all built in to the CPU.

which is precisely why i wanted the passive cooled one…

see the bottom of this page: http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit – the section titled “Will ROCK run on my existing hardware? How about this other hardware?”

it may… but no one can tell you until you try, and even then, there are caveats going forward.

@Danny woah never expected you to reply. thanks so much though. Weighing the different options available to me now :slight_smile:

Er, no - the i7 CPU is 28W TDP. It’s the i3 and i5 CPUs that are 15W TDP.

@Geoff_Coupe thanks for pointing it out. The Intel website stated 15w tdp but other sites are saying 28.

I think ill just get an i5…

The graphics has its own heat transfer point on the CPU and needs to be cooled alongside the CPU. In a passively cooled case the graphics cooling becomes a significant issue. Akasa who are no slouches produced a significantly bigger case for i7 processors in its Plato range. And they have not included the present series 7 i7 as suitable for that bigger case which I thought was an omission, buisngt it isn’t.

There is no separation of the heat transfer… Is all in one hence why there is no need to over complicate this… It still stand that you don’t have to account from graphic cooling because is all in one die.
This is why the new i7 on the nuc’s are dropping to two cores. Cooling efficiency.

And note that I am not saying u are wrong, I am just simply stating that you are overcomplicating it :hugging:

Quick Quition- if Rock is operating in headless mode, then why is Graphics cores are woken up if HDMI is connected, then there is gfx -controller-hdmi/DP tread is in use So, if Rock operating headless , then no extra heat due to gfx core being silent?

1 Like