Roon OS 2.1 - UEFI build only?

From memory, so possibly missing a crucial step, but basically:

1. backup your Roon database
  2. prepare a boot USB installer drive
  3. power down your NUC, enter the BIOS and disable legacy boot
  4. boot from the USB installer drive and install Rock - if it doesn’t boot, either the USB is not right, or EFI boot is not supported/enabled
  5. restore the Roon database
  6. edit ‘watched folders’ to make sure the music drive is correct
  7. miller time

There’s no real ‘danger’ as long as you have a good backup, it’s just time consuming… The only drive that should be affected is the M2 OS drive. Let the installer do its thing, do not re-format the SATA music drive. Just remembered, you’re going to have reinstall the ffmpeg codec too…

The other elephant in the room is what about MOCK machines…

Also anyone have a handy link to what rock installs or builds are currently UEFI versions?

From the Roon OS 2.1 release announcement:

This implies that the UEFI boot was introduced in build 256. As a consequence, it is probable that if your Nucleus/ROCK/MOCK device reports a Roon OS build number lower than 256, then it is using BIOS boot. If it reports a Roon OS build number equal to or greater than 256, then it is using UEFI boot.

1 Like

@Wade_Oram I don’t think so. I installed my NUC 10i7 in legacy-mode, and my actual version is Build 259. To be clear, I never re-installed Roon in UEFI. So I am afraid that the build-number is not a clear indication of the type of boot.
Kind regards, Frank.

True, 259 was for everyone

But 261 was released in July only for UEFI installs.

I am running:

But there is no update:

Torben

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre M720Q running Rock. It’s a i5-8400T unit and works very well.

All i/o works with Rock, even WiFi :smiling_imp:

@danny, @benjamin,

Would it make sense to have an official guide on how to properly migrate a NUC ROCK install to UEFI? I would really like to avoid screwing up my local files for example.

1 Like

Thanks, I was thinking more of a ‘how to’ rather than a ‘what to’;

eg

1. backup your Roon database:
    • insert a FAT32 formatted USB drive into your NUC
    • in roon goto Settings>Backups and click [Backup] in the ‘Backup now’ section
    • Click [Select location] and choose the USB drive (likely to be identified as Generic_Flash_Disk) then click [Start]
  2. prepare a boot USB installer drive:
    • download v2.1 of ROCK from ???
  • and so on…

I know all this information is available in various places on the main roon site and this forum; but it would be useful to have it all pulled together into a single place for the specific task of converting a legacy BIOS ROCK to a UEFI ROCK…

Is it recommended to update the UEFI BIOS, if so presumably download it from [NUC] Support Links for NUC Mini PC | Official Support | ASUS USA ?

If there’s a second SSD installed in the NUC with music files on it, should it be disconnected first; if so when in the process and should it be reconnected, before or after restoring the database backup?

I wouldn’t bother updating the BIOS, this is an unnecessary complication which has the potential to break things.

I didn’t bother removing it, just make sure you select the correct destination drive for the OS.

No, it would not make sense. As has been stated, the process is the same as a RoonOS install on a new machine. And such guide has existed for a long time. It has been posted multiple times in this thread.

You are hemming and hawing too much over this. Either do it or leave well enough alone.

AJ

1 Like

Great idea, I also would do it just to be a bit safer.

This is correct.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.