Roon OS system drive vs internal storage

If that genuinely is the case then my advice will not work and the caddy idea is best.

Dear All, thanks again. Simon, you are right: https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/products/docs/boards-kits/nuc/nuc8i3bek-nuc8i3beh-brief.html
BEK supports only 1 internal storage vs. BEH 2, so I have go for the caddy.

1 Like

If thatā€™s 10 TB for your music collectionā€¦ I salute you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Or Windows, allowing you to run your server headless. I also have a Windows based server, in a fanless Streacom chassi. It really isnĀ“t as bad as i imagined. It works quietly and does just fine as a Roon Server. If you are content with Windows as such, i would start there.
It is also more versatile than a ROCK install, allowing for other servers and such. The downside is of course more patches and maintenance than ROCK or Linux, but hardly annoying today.

Or load windows.

Dear All, as suggested, I bought a M.2 USB Caddy and a new 256 GB M.2 SSD for the NUC. Cost: 90ā‚¬, now the system runs perfectly. Thanks again for your tipps. To summaries, NUC8i3BEK, Akasa turing, 8 GB ram, 256 GB SSD + 2 TB external USB SDD M.2, together < 740 ā‚¬. - good price compared to commercial systems (at least 1000 ā‚¬ more). :slight_smile: You could save about 100ā‚¬ if you go for NUC8i3BEH and buy an internal SAGA SSD.

2 Likes

Itā€™s about 7.5TB for the main library, plus some other folders for duplicate MQA and DSF versions, where I have the FLAC at the same or higher than 24/96 given that the 1st unfold is limited to 24/96.
Total is about 8TB, then with File backups and pictures on the main NAS (backup to another RAID1 volume on a 3rd 2-bay NAS), leaving about 1.2TB free of the 10TB.

I may have missed something, but I used the easiest solution; attach a USB harddrive and place your music there. No need for SSD for music storage. Good luck.

Good to hear, all up and running as ROCK with the 2TB SSD as DAS.

Just consider a backup strategy for your music library on the DAS.

ROON will allow you set up backups of your database (very recommended) but this is not the files in your library.

The K and H motherboards are identical. Itā€™s only a chassis difference.

1 Like