Roon OS system drive vs internal storage

Hey, I set up a ROCK on NUC (8i3BEK). My feeling is, I made a big mistake as I bought 2 TB SSD (M.2) as only storage. Now I am not able to use this for importing music.
(I just found the information " Note: You cannot store music on the Roon OS system drive." on
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_OS_Data_Directory)
My question now is, how to solve this problem on most elegant way?
Any suggestions are welcome.
Mathias

Get a smaller M.2 NVMe SSD, say a Samsung 950 or 970 probably smallest is now 250GB.
Get a USB caddy for the 1TB M.2
Rebuild ROCK, putting the ROCK dB on the smaller M.2, leaving the 2TB SSD for your music library.

Or install Windows instead of ROCK and you can put your music on the system drive?

Or any Linux version really? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Simon, Tim and Mikael for the rapid replies. The USB Caddy must be connected externally, right? (why 1Tb Caddy?) Would the Linux version work as good as ROCK? Before a run Roon on a Lenovo Labtop W10 (i7) - annoying because of fan and response time. Now I invested in NUC and AKASA turing and would like a avoid external drives. Thanks again

Sorry, it is just a caddy for the current M.2 SSD, making it externally connected, and moving the ROON Core database to a second internal M.2 SSD in a ROCK build.
NUCs can only support one storage M.2 SSD at a time, so either you use the current 2TB for OS, Roon Core database and music library under Linux or Windows (as general purpose builds), or introduce a dedicated drive to enable a ROCK build.
ROCK makes a Roon Core fuss & maintenance free (outside of the infrequent Roon release), as a dedicated, embedded optimized appliance.
My view is to go ROCK and DAS

I run ROCK with NAS as I find it easier to have RAID1 backed up up to RAID1 and also backed up to off-line media - but my library is some 8TBs.

You don’t need to use the M.2 as the OS/database drive. The easy way is to buy a regular 2.5 inch SSD and fit it. Load ROCK onto that then it will see your M.2 as storage once it has been wiped. This assumes you have the room for a 2.5 inch drive.

Adding a small SSD for Roon OS, and use M.2 SSD for storage? Of course, you must make sure that Roon OS will boot from SSD…

1 Like

Just set the boot priority in the bios appropriately.

I don’t see any reason for it to be “worse” than a ROCK install, it you have a some experience with Linux. It will of course be a bit more fiddly to setup, but on the other hand, also more versatile.

I run DietPi x86 on a Celeron based barebone with Roon Server. It works fine, but you need to install Roon Sever manually as the DietPi Optimized software makes some bad install choices. (Which causes the complete database to be lost on each update of Roon)
In all other aspects it works just fine, and i can run other software simultaneously, such as performance monitoring tools or perhaps a Plex/UPnP server?

Dear all, thank your very much for all the input. I guess I will stay on ROCK, I do not have expertise in LINUX, Mikael, and bought the NUC only for Roon. So the 2.5 SSD solution seems the best. Just to repeat, if I got it right: Install 2.5 SSD Sata on the NUC (8i3BEK) - the NUC will be tranfered to a AKASA Turing case, so there must be enough space. Then re-build ROCK on 2.5 SSD and use SSD M.2 for music storage. Adjust boot to 2.5 SSD Sata in the bios. Correct?
Would INTENSO 3813430, 120 GB, SSD, 2,5 Zoll, intern work on the NUC8i3BEK?
Sorry for stupid questions.

It should work just fine.

Great, thanks - now I have a re-vision project.

But the k version of your (the 8i3BEK) NuC can only house one ssd! The 8i3BEH can house 2 ssd’s (1 m2 and 1 sat 600)

I think that @Mathias_Ernst has transplanted the NUC motherboard into an Akasa Turing case - he should be OK…

Yes, Geoff - I will use the Akasa Case. There is enough room for the 2.5 SSD, the connection on the motherboard are present and can be used, I believe.

Nope. Only 1 of the ssd connections can be used. Correct me if I’m wrong. It was the case with my 7i5 NuC

We are talking about a M.2 and a SSD.

Yes, but the K-version of the NuC has indeed, 2 connectionoptions, but they will not work at the same time. Even when you use another case.

Hence the suggestion of getting a second M.2 NVMe SDD of smaller size, and then putting the M.2 2TB SSD in a USB caddy, as DAS for the library.
Then the fastest interface for the NVMe is used for the OS, Roon Core image and internal database.
Plus there expansion options with either additional DAS, or if there are dual-bay M.2 USB caddies to create a larger image, when the 2TB is full up.

I remember very quickly going from 2TB -> 4TB -> 6TB for my main volume (RAID1).
It has subsequent gone 6TB->8TB->10TB (total journey is over the last 10-years). I reuse the disks either in the Backup NAS (also RAID1), or the off-line backups (2x4TB and 2x6TB)