Roon Parametric EQ to help with bass issues

Hi.

My first post here. I am Roon user since new year. i really like DSP features since my room is a huge problem. Few years ago I bought ATC SCM 11 speakers, which didn’t work in my room 4x4 meters. No bass, terrible ear pain. I changed them for Spendor A2 and then for a Spendor 2/3R2. I really like the big sound from 2/3, althoug I have some nasty bass boom issues from one of the speakers (same was with A2). I build some DIY bass trapes, inserted foam in one bass port and that helped a lot. I did some measurments with a borrowed microphone and it showed a huge bass build up at 43HZ. I then tried ROON with its DSP feature (mostly Parametric EQ), which helped a lot. I am still learning. Do you have any suggestions what is the best way to get bass under control with EQ (or any other DSP feature). I tried Peak/Dip with various setings at 43HZ, now playing with High Pass filter, filtering from 60HZ at 24dB. Any curves, suggestions from other user would be very appreciated.

Regards, Matjaz

Bumping and moving to Roon Software as it is not a #support issue.

I would look at link below as a good start and get yourself a calibrated microphone such as MiniDSP umik-1. There a number of threads about DSP if your use search on the forum.

You can also look at using a company called Home Audio Fidelity to create you some exceptional filters to use in the convolution part of DSP a more powerful part of the DSP engine.

There‘s a very active discussion going on in how to do room correction with the free software REW.

You‘ll find many good suggestions there.

@matiaz … if you have problem with resonance a dsp is NOT the solution, you have to add bass-trap to your room but not the common wide spectrum solution … search the web for Helmholtz Absorber Calculator, then build one unit (not too small that at resonance there is a lot of energy to absorbe) working on that specific resonance frequency and add to your room, measure the result with REW and add more unit if necessary… be careful, holes have to be precise in diameter and distance between and perfectly orthogonal to surface

The result could be natural not dull sound with no more nasty resonance. Enjoy your DIY

Paolo

If you want to DIY, you should IMO try to get good (room eq wizard) measurement from your listening position. Useful bass traps are usually too large.

When measuring, you should remember the physics. The effect that troubles you is called a standing wave. The distances between opposite walls are the most dominant factor, but positioning any speaker to a corner maximizes the effect. You can get easily over 18dB boost from a corner, which may be a good reason to avoid them. This behaviour inevitably creates peaks and nulls at different frequencies in different positions inside any room. You need to accept that the problematic frequencies will be different in different listening positions.

The lowest peak frequency is the most powerful, but after you have toned it down you are guranteed to notice its first multiple at 2x hz, or a completely different frequency if your room is not very close to a 4x4 square. Do not attempt to create a curve that sounds great everywhere. Just measure the frequency response in one listening position and fix that, do not try to fix several positions. After you move a speaker or listen at different position, you are likely to benefit from another measurement. Frequency sweep can reveal that a problem exists, but it is not precise enough to fix much.

People have different tastes, but I have never found a need to boost more than 3db, because usually boosting invites some kind of distortion. Also boosting a null (very narrow deep dip in frequency response) is just wasting your wattage and pissing off your neighbours.

I was very pleased with the filters I got from HAF. I fooled around with REW for more than a year without getting any results that I was happy with, probably because I really didn’t understand what all of the different settings did. (In spite of the excellent directions in this forum). With Thierry’s App you don’t have to set anything or figure out any settings. Just move the mic around, send in the measurements to HAF, load the filters into Roon when they come back and enjoy the improvement in the sound.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.