Using REW to do Room Correction

In one word: fantastic!! Now using Roon with DSP. The measurements are taken with REW. The result is a awesome. I hope that in the near future Roon could do the measurements itself, that would be great!

6 Likes

How did you do? Did you use a measurement mic (which) and then load the file into Roon?

I use an Umik 1microphone. REW did the measurements the EQ-ing and the calculations. Then I had to put the values manually in Roon!

BTW, the speakers are Quadral Platinim M4

3 Likes

Quite the bass node you have there :smile:.You can export the filters from REW as a wav file that you can load into the convolution engine in Roon. Might have saved some time!

1 Like

I know, thing is, I don’t know how it works to export filters from REW into a wav. file

Once you have the EQ filter settings configured in REW as per your screenshot, just go to file >> export >> filters impulse response as WAV

Max Q in REW is 50, max Q in Roon is 100, is there a scale difference?

Okay just try this and it works, however the signal the Roon is sending to the Bluenode 2 is completly overloaded. I give it more headroom, even to -15, but no help it keeps clipping!

hmm, your biggest upward adjustment is +8dB, so you’d think -15 of headroom should easily cover that. Perhaps disable that particular filter and see if it makes a difference, then add it incrementally until you hear the distortion again. Frankly, I don’t think you should have to though because -15 should be plenty. Bit odd.

@support, what about adding this how-to to the knowledge base?

A bit more guidance for us, Roon lovers, to get the most out of your system.
Eg, a best practice from REW to Roon. Besides what is already in the KB

3 Likes

Oh hang on, it just occurred to me that these filters are applied with summing, which may result in much bigger adjustments than the raw individual figures. Can you show us a screenshot of the EQ graph from REW or Roon? The Q factors don’t look like they’d cause an issue, but worth checking.

I found that the wav filter output from REW was producing really quiet audio in Roon, so I then went the parametric approach as per Johan’s original post.

FYI, if you use Procedural EQ, you can add one Parametric EQ filter for each channel. The filters from REW make a significant difference, even though I’ve only implemented a proof-of-concept RC so far. This weekend, I’m going to drag my Meridian 861 into my office and see what filters it comes up with (as an alternative to REW’s).

We’re still really early in terms of achieving a full feature set. Keep the thoughts and ideas coming!

1 Like

Oooh now this is very cool, thank you for the heads up @Cantodea

I have been pondering REW for a while and got a little confused with the mic I needed (without spending the earth) to get a decent output.

I must take another look :slight_smile:

Sorry for the stupid question but i thought i read somewhere that it is possible to import files with corrections (like from REW) : did i misunderstand ?

Arn’t they all stated and linked above in the thread?

Exporting from REW and import into Roon are mentioned…

Ok I missed it. No it is ok. Thanks

Change your Y axis scaling to 5dB too. Suddenly it won’t be so flat! You want +/- 5dB max. +/- 2dB is ideal. I do that with fixing the room, no DSP.

Fixing the room isn’t an option for thousands of people for many reasons, usually; their hifi is in a shared space like a lounge, or financial, aesthetic, or time/hassle reasons.

It’s the ideal method, but doesn’t fit into my lifestyle anywhere, so DSP it is. I think modern DSP is amazing and does most of what most people need.

The primary hinderance is its way over complicated in all forms other than Diracs offering, which sadly doesn’t fit the Roon workflow. You also get a bit obsessed about nudging your speakers in case the measurements go out of whack.

1 Like

Johan, sorry for the out of context question, but how do you get REW to generate the EQ filter calculations. I can only see the graph, and cannot see how I can make it generate the numbers??

1 Like

I think I got it…

1 Like