Roon Playlists and Apple Music App

Hello…I’m not sure this is the place for this inquiry or “Support”, but let’s start here.
My question regards playlists that were originally created in iTunes (the old .xml format) and successfully transferred into my Roon library quite some time ago. As you Apple Music users know, Apple did away with iTunes and supplanted it with the Apple Music app. The newer app no longer uses the old .xml method of saving playlists into a single file titled “iTunes Music Library.xml”. The new app creates a single monolithic file titled “Music Library.musiclibrary” which appears to be the database file which updates every time changes are made to the Apple Music library.

So here’s my problem. I’ve updated, deleted and/or added several new playlists within Apple Music, yet Roon does not see these changes, because they are not written to the XML file, but instead are reflected in the “musiclibrary” file. Roon monitors the “Music” folder for changes to that file (XML) for updating of my playlists. Now I have old versions of the playlists which I can not delete, and new versions which will not update in Roon.

I’ve tried removing the old XML file entirely from the Music folder hoping that Roon would then update and my old playlists would be gone. That didn’t happen.
I tried subscribing to Soundiz and successfully transferred my updated Apple playlists to it. I can now transfer an Apple playlist to Tidal using Soundiz, but I do not want to spend the time to transfer all (22) playlists to Tidal just so I can get the refreshed lists into Roon.

So short of Roon integrating Apple Music (which I think we all know is not going to happen) how do I get Roon to see the new Apple playlists and update without going to the manual workaround of creating and transferring multiple playlists via Soundiz to either Tidal or Quobuz?

There’s still FileLibraryExport Library… in Music app.

You have to manually export the XML file anytime you modify your Library (e.g. you add or modify a playlist). It’s not an automatic process anymore.

Roon should pick the updated XML file.

Ok…found something that seems to work for now.
Went through the process here: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/itunes#The_Basics
Created a new library XML file via Apple Music “export” function.
Replaced older XML file in my watched folder within Roon
Forced a rescan via Roon “Storage” settings
Voila…new Apple Music playlists now seen in Roon.

1 Like