Roon Radio and its choice of tracks

Just putting this out there:

Robert Palmer is a great seed artist for Roon Radio.

YMMV, obviously, but this is what played when I Roon Radio’d him.

Grateful Dead
Steve Miller Band
Van Morrison
The Meters
Tower of Power
Steely Dan
Doobie Brothers
Boz Scaggs
Average White Band
War
Steve Winwood
Daryl Hall & John Oates

The thing is, I would never associate Robert Palmer with many of those picks.

It’s that damn Pop/Rock genre, as usual.

3 Likes

Pop/Rock is like that catch-all junk drawer in many people’s kitchens. Everything in life is somehow stuffed in there, it’s impossible to find anything, and it’s a total mess.

2 Likes

My experience is similar to that of @Jim_F and @Geoff_Coupe – I pick an album (I have a few “seeds” that I remember), select “Roon Radio” from the album screen, and I have rarely had repeats, and have encountered so many new albums in the last five months that I’ve added 150 to my library.

Not questioning other people’s disappointments with Roon Radio, but for me (and I was very skeptical of Roon Radio to begin with), this method has worked well, at least for Jazz, which is 99% of what I use it for.

It should be obvious from my post that I’ve seeded from all possible entry points:

I still call hogwash on the whole deduplication assertion: revisiting an artist after ten iterations is also duplication.

Just noticing strange behaviour: seeded Susanne Vega, got Norah Jones next (okayish) then got Roger Waters’ Time then the Waterboys. Not complaining but… Strange combo but better than usual.

Try clicking on Play Now for an album you like and see where it takes you when the album is finished playing.

Some surprised me, too.

But it’s really a matter of taste, isn’t it? I wouldn’t have associated CCR or Foghat with Steely Dan, and it crabs me out to hear them in the same mix. But others might think, “Hoooooeeeee! This is awesome!”

2 Likes

Exactly. It would not bother me since FM radio stations at the time would have absolutely played them. Back then, stations had to be wide circus tents.

And this, i think is the thing.

It’s called Roon “Radio.” Can’t read your mind to know what you think should play next.

If it’s that critical, I’d suggest making a playlist.

1 Like

Hmm, but this is not an FM station that has to appeal to a wide audience. This is Roon Radio whose picks should only appeal to the particular listener.

I guess one could give the same reason as to why ‘Focus on Similar’ is so ■■■■■■ and useless.

Really, Roon Radio and playlists are two different objectives.

Doesn’t matter, Roon Radio works pretty well for jazz, so I’m good.

I guess in life links don’t always work well, for example you have Genesis, Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins. Personally I would only want to listen to one of those three and I’m sure YMMV from mine!

1 Like

Exactly.

One is giving up control to the algorithm.

The other, if you want more control, is creating a static list.

The one thing I WISH Roon Radio could do would be to allow me to say “Create a station from THESE FIVE ARTISTS/SONGS/ALBUMS” so it would tighten up the algorithm and reduce the chances for the oddballs.

3 Likes

You should be more concise.

Owning physical means to music, digital, and instruments you can play will give a great perspective. If you covered all of those in your tireless post, forgive me.

If you didn’t cover all those, buy a CD player, Turntable, Cassette player, 8-Track, and embark on a different trip.

London School of Economics “Friday Bash” sometime in 1973-4

Elkie Brooks & Robert Palmer (before they became a smoothies)

They might just spawn some of the list

AAAHH nostalgia isn’t what it used to be maybe 9 am isn’t the time but never mind, it doesn’t seem to be in Tidal – SHAME

This one is , Robert & Elkie Far Right , Young eh !!

1 Like

I have a smidgen under 6000 albums and over 73k tracks. How does Roon have no choice?

The thing I can say, of those albums, I think I like them all. Just some may not be mood/genre appropriate upon selection.

Quantity means nothing if the seed provides no guidance. My suggestions only partially refer to the lack of quantity. There are more factors.

Just played a Muse album all the way through. What do you think Valence picked next? Another Muse track from a different album. Might have got away with it but it then tried to play a Coldplay track next before I terminated playback with extreme prejudice!

1 Like

I’m not familiar with Muse, but are they an English rock band? What would be wrong with playing a Coldplay track after another English rock band? Let it play for several hours and see where it goes. It always works for me with very few oddball tracks.

Yesterday, I started a session with the Bee Gees and for hours it followed with appropriate tracks, although I did get a couple Monkeys thrown that I don’t care for. I’m not sure what some of you expect. Roon Radio is good, but not a mind reader.

I just can’t stand Coldplay that’s all. Never played a track in 3 years of being a Roon user. Whether that is typically what someone who listens to Muse would listen to or pick I have no idea.

The wife likes Coldplay (and much similar ‘easy listening’ type music) but not Muse or much else that I listen to. We use different profiles when using Roon.

I think Coldplay is actually a very good match for Muse. They’re both British rock bands and both ‘progressive’ in style with a large stadium sound, I think. In fact if memory serves, I’m pretty sure Coldplay supported Muse on a UK tour back in the day. That said, it doesn’t change the fact that I also would have skipped with extreme prejudice! I can’t stand Coldplay, but Roon Radio wasn’t to know that.