Roon Radio and its choice of tracks

But, that’s not a fault of Roon Radio or Roon. Personally, I like an occasional Coldplay tune.

What isn’t? My wife’s taste in music? :rofl:

1 Like

The one oddity that always cracks me up with Roon Radio and jazz is that, no matter what seed I start with, whether it be Bill Evans, or Keith Jarrett, or Errol Garner, or Kenny Burrell, or whatever, about an hour in, Sonny Rollins’ “Without a Song” from his “9/11 Concert” album will come on and man I am tired of that track. :crazy_face:

Never listen to Sonny Rollins. I find him completely unimaginative, IMO.

1 Like

I thought you were going to mention Diana Krall. I like her, by the way.

2 Likes

i rarely ever get Diana Krall in the mix.

I have a few of her tracks as “system test tracks” because they sound soooo freaking sweet. (“Temptation” is one.)

I don’t have tons of vocal jazz in my library. Some traditional stuff like Ella or Ray Charles or Sinatra or Bennett or Nat King Cole or whatever. Mose Allison is great. Love Madeleine Peyroux, Cassandra Wilson.

But as talented as Diana Krall is, and as great as her voice is, sometimes she comes across as too literal and it gets kinda cringey. Not sure how to describe it.

Oh, as much as I love Chet Baker’s trumpet, I tend to pass on his albums with him singing.

I have 18 of her albums in both Tidal and Qobuz.

1 Like

I get this exact track a lot, too, when I seed with Art Blakey/Miles Davis/John Coltrane/Charlie Parker/Thelonious Monk (which are all from my local music, although I guess that isn’t relevant to the choice).

But I don’t get it when I seed from “newer” artists (Ambrose Akinmusire, Christian Scott, Christian Sands, Jeremy Pelt…) – all of whom (except Akinmusire) I’ve discovered via Roon Radio. So I had a bootstrapping process when I would seed with the “oldies” from my local music, then started discovering newer artists, added them to my library, started seeding with newer artists, discovered more artists I like, added to library, and so on… Actually, come to think of it, seeding with the one newer artist I already knew and liked (Akinmusire) might have been important in discovering my first “newer” artists…

But I still get the Rollins track when seeding from my “oldies” :wink:

As far as Valence is concerned, it seems pretty clear that not everyone can be Celine Dion…

1 Like

Extreme prejudice sums up my feelings about Coldplay full stop, instigated by Alan McGee 20 years ago.

3 Likes

Being extremely prejudiced against Coldplay seems like a healthy thing, but the problem is that Bono called Chris Martin a wanker, as well as a “completely dysfunctional character and a cretin”, so one kinda has to assume they can’t be completely bad.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with U2.

You ought to try “Turn Up the Quiet”. I think you’ll maybe find a different Krall! I’m way more into Smooth Jazz as I find a lot of regular Jazz is way too free-form as in they could never play the same thing twice.

I can’t understand why more folks don’t enjoy the The Rippingtons…they have a little bit of everything and never sound the same.

Norah Jones is the one whose voice grates on my nerves.

1 Like

That reminds me of my mother, who having heard me playing (listening to) a Coltrane album said “The trouble with Jazz is that it has no tune…” :grinning:

1 Like

Sigh! I’ve heard that complaint about Coltrane (among others) too. Although, I had a sax-playing college roommate once whose attempts to imitate Coltrane reminded me of a bad case of gastroenteritis…

1 Like

haha, see, I really like Norah Jones.

Even though both artists rely on highly produced recordings and arrangements, there’s a laid-back-ness that NJ evokes that I like that I don’t get from DK. (But I’m a big fan of laid-back. Steely Dan, Little Feat, Grateful Dead, etc… it’s hard work to sound laid back!)

But it’s all good. Great music out there. :+1:

Straying off-topic to be sure, BUT: Funny, I love Steely Dan and Little Feat, but I don’t care for Norah Jones! To me, she’s a bit too polished, doesn’t get to the heart of the lyrics. I liked Diana Krall in her early days, but I find her vocal range limited so over the years her albums began to sound alike to me (though I could listen all day to her rendition of Joni Mitchell’s “A Case of You” on Live in Paris). These days, in jazz singers, I’m a huge fan of Cécile McLorin Salvant.

2 Likes

Added to queue, thanks :pray:

1 Like

Thanks for the new, to me anyway, artists.

Here are two albums with Jeremy Pelt in the mix -
https://i.imgur.com/l6IBvGD.png
https://i.imgur.com/TepvcAX.png

As far as Crawl goes, why listen to an imitation when you can hear the original?
https://i.imgur.com/KKdB3hR.png

1 Like