Roon Radio and its choice of tracks

we probably should send this “roon radio diversions” tangent to another thread!

1 Like

ahhhh that’s better

thank you @BrianW :+1:

Thanks, will try those. Hope you enjoy those other new ones – I’ve also liked Walter Smith III a lot.

It’s been quite revelatory to me how Roon Radio has expanded my (Jazz) musical horizons…

That’s EXACTLY the one I’m talking about. Never fails, no matter how many times I skip it or thumb it down. So tired of it too…

She’s good, but I prefer Diana Krall.

Gotta say, I love that Julie London album!

She’s amazing.

maybe it’s like the old days with radio station payola

OK, I just listened to all 50 tracks and must admit it’s very nice. When I was a kid playing drums with my 6 year older brother, we dragged his Hammond B3 all over North Carolina playing all of these old standards.

The song selections are a product of the their times. I pick and choose.

Probably a better album is ‘My Name Is Julie’.

It’s her sultry voice that carries the show, for me.

1 Like

In my use cases it works pretty well. It can go off on tangent sometimes which is often quite entertaining in itself. I have had it hit the same artists a few times more than I would like and its played a track from the album that seeded it , I guess it’s not the album but the last track that seeds so it really needs to be able to track whats been played to stop repeats.

In fairness I have found Spotifys playlists repeat the same artists a lot to so it’s not unique to Roon. They started off ok but then got very predictable and used the same artists again and again. So perhaps this a downside to this type of thing. Found My Mix on Tidal to be far better. Shame can’t use it in Roon.

Thanks Danny - I was only chiming in on this conversation per your local library comment.

Overall, I am happy with the selections from Roon, albeit Dylan seems to crop up in some very odd genre selections. Notwitstandanding, Dylan I’d assume, is the most populated artist in my library, where I’d have easily over 50 albums without checking & that would amount to many more discs.

Cheers.

Been experimenting for a couple of days. The seed artist seems to make a big difference. Starting from Deodato yields a much wider variety than Larry Carlton, for example. Maybe because Deodato has played on and produced so many albums with so many other artists?

Also, I reactivated Tidal, and roon radio seems to work better with Tidal than with Qobuz. Differences in quality/quantity of metadata? Size of catalog? (Although Qobuz seems to have caught up and most everything I look at is in both.)

i can use my tidal mixes in plex so roon should be able to it as well

Should being the key word. Unfortunately not.

Did I hear someone mention Diana :nauseated_face: Kral? :blush:

ok, Nick Drake is a weird seed artist, in my opinion. I’d think I’d get stuff like Bert Jansch or John Martyn or Davy Graham.

But it’s CSNY, Jefferson Airplane, Elton John, Van Morrison, Paul Simon.

Oh, i see in the history there was one John Martyn song in there (must have been in the other room!), but still.

I think I’m done with the radio option, Christ almighty…after a few near-heart attacks this is it.
Who thinks this is a good idea this track: https://youtu.be/BdYFM9aoLA8 changes into THIS:
https://youtu.be/P1dUHOx1yDU with that very loud beginning note.

In my, often faulty, memory Pandora allowed you to do that when it was first introduced but the last time I used it I couldn’t find the option. So that was the two times I used Pandora.

I would recommend using 3 albums though, from my experience with multi cd disc changer mixes, since that’s the bleeding edge of mix that produces the best balance of variety and consistency of theme/vibe/tone.

I would love that option… or that Roon radio responded to your entire playlist rather than the last track of your playlist/album. Just imagine…