Roon Ready Certification

Not sure how the two are related if you’re still keeping Roon subscription, unless you’re just striking out in frustration.

Do you mean the Terms & Conditions for Roon? That’s linked to on the Settings > About page of Roon.

I for one would be seriously annoyed with Bricasti. But you seem to give all benefit of the doubt to the hardware vendor who cheated, as you are aware. That’s simply not a reasonable attitude.

2 Likes

Try it. You get a 404 error at the moment - at least I do.

Ah - right… @mike - broken link that needs fixing for the T&C…

Thanks, @Geoff_Coupe and @Mike_Kelly1 — Well get that taken care of.

Just an FYI, if Roon would refund my money and disable my license I would be happy to walk away from Roon’s software. The whole NAD M10/Roon finger pointing exercise was frustrating enough. Just last month the Bricasti M3 had a problem where it stopped being recognized by Roon due to a change Roon made (according to the owner of Bricasti), which forced Bricasti to rush out a firmware update to impacted M3 owners. They sent the firmware update the next day and the owner of Bricasti even responded to my email I sent about the problem the same day, which was a Sunday!

Bricasti said that Roon has an M3 in their possession but never tested the change they made with the M3, which ultimately broke the Roon functionality with the M3. Every manufacturer has to send Roon a sample of the hardware they want certified, which is a big expense for small companies.

I have been an IT project manager for over 25 years and I know that software and interconnected systems will have problems, but it is how these problems are supported and addressed that shows the true character of a company. Roon has failed at their attempt to address vendor problems and now they are punishing the user community (at least those impacted by this new policy) to get the vendors to step up. This is a knee jerk decision made by a weak management team that isn’t focused on the right things.

4 Likes

NAD is a big company and they released the M10 in January of 2017 and advertised as Roon Ready. Still not Roon Ready Certified. I’m sure there are others, but I haven’t owned other devices but NAD and Bricasti.

Agreed, whilst the majority of Roon Tested devices are USB DACs, it’s wider than that … I forgot about those non-USB device that have also been Roon Tested.

I do appreciate how it easy it is for “Roon Tested” and “Roon Ready” to be conflated.

You didn’t make a copy?

And without knowing the particulars you implicitly put the blame on Roon… not reasonable.

3 Likes

Not sure how that’s relevant ss far as ‘Roon Ready’ certification is involved, but I guess you’re saying you don’t like Roon support. Fair enough.

Point taken. Guess you won’t be renewing your subscription.

Stiil, in your particular case, if the M3 isn’t advertised as being ‘Roon Ready’, then you’re not effected by this at all.

I purchased a life time license!

I nearly lost it today when I read the first announcement. Especially this part:

How will this impact me?

• If your device is Enabled in Roon’s settings, it will stay Enabled. But if you Disable the device, you will not be able to Enable it again after September 21st.
  • If you purchase a device that is not certified as Roon Ready, you will not be able to Enable it for use after September 21st.

I have eight zones, and none of the devices I have purchased are “certified as Roon Ready.” (mostly Raspberry Pi builds running Roon Bridge) If the policy was as it is stated above and I disabled any of them for any reason after September 21st, they would be gone forever. Horrifying.

Adding the following clarifying paragraph near the top of the announcement and communication would be tremendously helpful:

Roon Bridge is not affected. Community-developed stuff is not affected. This is only about manufacturers who licensed the Roon Ready SDK from us commercially, then violated our license by skipping the Roon Ready certification process. It’s not very many manufacturers. We began communicating with manufacturers about this in 2018 . They have had ample warning to sort things out.

Cc: @dylan

2 Likes

OK, you’re upset, but isn’t this true -

My hardware has a perfectly good implementation of roon (for my needs) without the certificate …
Can’t find a reason why the manufacturer has to invest time and money to get only the approvment from Roon and bother with more features then needed. At the end the product will be more expensive without the customer getting added value. Only Roon are satisfied and play the powerful one … Stupid approach - who is greater - software or hardware.
It is far wiser to go for as much as possible compatible devices, and just dont give full functionality if not certified.
On the other hand hardware manufactures also don’t want to be told how they have to write their software … understandably. If a manufactures dont want to implement particular feature from the roon SDK this should be his Decision. After all that are his customers in the first place, not roons.

Good point. If my hardware is not certified i will never ask for help regarding integration roon. I ask the hardware vendor. Dont see the problem here.

1 Like

You are missing the point.

Only those manufacturers who say ‘Roon Ready’, ostensibly to sell their device, need to actually get Roon certification.

If the manufacturers doesn’t advertise ‘Roon Ready’, they don’t need certification and more than likely the device will still run with Roon.

It IS advertised as being Roon Ready. In Roon the M3 is listed as “Roon Ready - Uncertified”. I am impacted!

Is didn’t know if was uncertified when I bought it and didn’t worry when I saw it was uncertified in Roon. I assumed that it would be certified at some point. I wouldn’t have anything to do with it being uncertified nor didn’t know what that might mean over time I was never informed by Roon until today that Uncertified means it would be unusable if I made any changes after September 21st.

Hopefully Roon will do the right thing and just give me a refund and I will walk away.

I will go to small claims court if I have to and Roon can send a representative to Florida to defend themselves.

1 Like

I think he is. The M3 is a DAC with multiple digital input choices and an optional (!) Ethernet input. @Stephen_Seay claims that it had been advertised on Bricasti’s website as Roon Ready. I have checked and by now this claim in not any more to be found on Bricasti’s web.

Of course, if the M3 is being used as DAC and connected to a bridge via USB or any other digital interface it should work perfectly. But not any more as Roon Ready streaming device connected to the LAN.

Anyway, if Bricasti made a false claim about the Roon Ready certification it seems to me that all blame should be put on them. I believe that Roon has never claimed that particular device to be Roon Ready.

2 Likes

The reason is simply that the manufacturer entered into a binding contract with Roon but then decided not no honor their obligations under said contract. The manufacturer could have instead done what many others do, use RoonBridge in an open-source platform so that their device can work with Roon, but without full Roon Ready certification. Does not speak well of the manufacturer, does it?

If I sell an electrical device and mark it as “UL listed” but I did not go through UL certification, I’ll be sued. How’s this any different?

4 Likes