Roon Ready Certification

I am not usually one to post on the forum but I also hope Roon will rethink this change.

1 Like

Here:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/important-changes-to-how-roon-interacts-with-uncertified-roon-ready-devices/120204

I changed the title of this thread and replaced “Certified” with “Uncertified”

there is an update in the post:

Note — This only affects devices that release as Roon Ready before completing their Roon Ready certification. Supported non-Roon Ready devices like USB DACs, Sonos, Airplay, and more will continue to work with Roon.”

That may cure some of the panic

Roon seems to have let the engineers write their customer communications today. Lots of confusion. The email they sent out says “If you purchase a device that is not certified as Roon Ready, you will not be able to Enable it for use after September 21st.”. This is not what it (now) says in their post in the community; it seems to say that if you purchase a device which does not CLAIM to be Roon Ready, you can still connect it. I think.

2 Likes

Hi everyone:

To clarify, this only affects devices which are going to be Roon Ready network players but were released before their Roon Ready certification was completed. When our partners create a Roon Ready network player, they go through a certification process that ensures they meet the quality requirements expected of all devices in the program.

When a device releases in an uncertified state like this, they are in violation of our licensing agreements, and we cannot ensure that these uncertified Roon Ready network players live up to the quality that is expected of Roon Ready devices.

This does not affect non Roon Ready devices like USB DACs, Roon Tested devices, Airplay, Sonos, etc. These devices will continue to be supported. If your device does not specifically say Uncertified on the audio settings screen, it will not be affected.

9 Likes

This is a most welcome clarification!

1 Like

Android Phone and DAP will not able to use and enable after 21 Sept? Only can use as remote?

Well, I can understand why Roon would feel moved to take such a decision. It’s not right that quite a lot of hardware manufacturers release devices with ‘Roon Ready’ seal without having completed the certification process. This is disingenuous to say the least, and will affect Roon’s goodwill and customer support burden. Of course, most customers who bought a device expecting it to work such as a Roon-Ready certified device should work, will vent their disappointment and look for support on this very forum, when it is not.

2 Likes

Roon should hire a communication manager and few designers :sweat:

4 Likes

So great it only impacts my new $6500.00 Bricasti M3 DAC/Streamer. I feel a lot better knowing I can continue to use Roon for Sonos and my KEF LS50W wireless speakers but if I move my Roon Core to a new server the Bricasti M3 is unusable.

Thanks for supporting your customers who are in the middle of your turf war!

4 Likes

To be clear Roon could have said we won’t support it, which is what they have said all along regarding the NAD M10, which I owned and sold over frustrations with the M10 and Roon. Roon wouldn’t help me and NAD told me to talk to Roon. Roon’s turf wars shouldn’t come down on the end user.

1 Like

What about community developed projects? I use the Roon Bridge plugin for Volumio on my MiniDSP SHD, will that be impacted? I get hiding the option to enable for users who don’t know what they are doing, but what about devs and power users? Maybe just have a allow uncertified devices option with a warning for power users.

1 Like

I would recommend you vent your disappointment to Bricasti support, as it is clearly they who have disingenuously released a product with the false claim as to its Roon-Ready status. Hardware manufacturers making those false claims moved by marketing decisions affect Roon’s goodwill. Roon has every reason to act like they have announced today.

12 Likes

Word. :100:

Roon has been quite clear that this ONLY affects devices being released and marketed as ‘Roon-Ready’, without having completed the Roon certification process. Of course, Roon Bridge software on a Raspberry Pi or any other computer will not be affected.

2 Likes

The Chord 2Go shows as uncertified. Will it stop working if I disable it?

Evidently some people in this thread are better at listening to music, then they are at reading words.

Another tempest in a teapot.

4 Likes

Where have Roon talked about marketing?

My oh my, Roon does have a way with communication, doesn’t it?

1 Like