Roon Ready MQA DAC recommendations

Btw, my setup is with a iFi nano iUSB3, which I connect to the DAC with an UpTone A>B. I have tried to connect the power-only output from the iFi nano to the micro port of the DAC, but can’t notice any difference in audio (the power used is from the iFi nano in both cases, so same power).

1 Like

Thanks, Magnus. Direct conflict with the manual, but it wouldn’t be the first time a manual was wrong. I intend to specifically ask Westlake this question and why the discrepancy. Is pinkfish the best place to get in contact with him?

I use iFi iPower on my RPis, but for this application I think I will go back to my original plan of using iFi USB3 and power thru USB on device.

BTW - I use a double headed USB cable (not the Gemini, but same concept) that I found on eBay for $60. In case you’re interested in such things.

Does a double headed USB cable work? You seem to need vbus power on the USB B input as well, or the DAC won’t detect its connected. The UpTone A>B I mentioned earlier has a vbus on/off switch, but I cannot get the DAC to work if I set it on off even if I power if through the micro-USB.

John hasn’t been around on the pink forum for a while, I think I scared him away :slight_smile:

Ha, Ha, I believe I have the same effect.

I use the double headed cable connected to iFi USB3s to feed both an iFi DAC2, which has its own power supply, and an iDSD, which is powered thru the USB port. All works good and I probably will use the same setup on S2. It should work, when I set it up I will report back.

Just saw on the iFi site they are touting a Gemini3. If it’s the same $200 as the original, then it’s just another ripoff.

Still waiting for S2 to come to Amerika.

There’s people passing MQA thru with no problem using bluesound and other dacs. I know Mytek had an issue early on, but that has been solved. I say the S2 has something going on with the coax and optical inputs

Node2 is the only one that comes out with Roon Ready and MQA at around $500 (give or take) price range. adding @hk6230 the thread. He is currently using it and very happy with the performance.

I had Node but quickly sold it. Node2 is once again interesting.

Pro-Ject S2 is also interesting if we are okay with USB inputs.

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean by this statement.

Do you mean coax and optical are good inputs. If so, aren’t they limited to 24bit/192kHz? I plan to upsample to at least DSD256.

Or are you commenting that coax and optical have their own set of problems? If so, please elaborate.

The problem with USB is? What is your preferred input?

Roon Ready is through ETH and data streamed through packets which are bit-perfect. If it matters to someone who might not like USB.

I m perfectly okay between USB and ETH. On LS50W, with latest update from Roon streaming to LS50W-ETH, I did not find SQ difference USB-ETH but convenience is excellent.

Yeah, I am waiting to see TEAC NT-505, Roon ready also. Probably no MQA, but that’s OK by me. From what I read MQA is overrated.

Same here. MQA not necessarily key decision maker. I use Schiit DAC Mimby (plan to go with Gumby, but looking elsewhere too)

I also like Pro-Ject S2 ever since its on POTY on EISA :slight_smile: + I like purpose built simple design and ++ is cost. It also uses latest ESS DAC Chip which is being used/not yet on ~$4.5k products (Wyred4sound latest DAC and many others)

Available to purchase from where I live but very expensive.

ESS and other DACs based on delta sigma are going to sound very different than the Mimby. Personally, I like the schiit multi bit sound when using redbook CDs.

1 Like

I don’t remember if it was in this thread or another, but it was explained to me that the ESS chip is a mobile version and not the type that is in Wyred4Sound boxes.

I thought as you. Too bad, but that would have been a real loss leader.

You mean they’re price gouging the S2? That’s disappointing.

Both are using same Chip set. Plus many other manufacturers.
Pro-Ject S2: High end ESS Sabre ESS9038 dual DAC
wyred4sound: DAC-2v2 SE, with the reference 9038PRO DAC chip

S2 Price increase is not by Pro-Ject. There is heavy import duty + Shipping + Margins etc. The dealers can best do with minimum margins, can sell at price which is still not digestible in my mind.

Agreed with @Rugby , Mimby ($250) sounded very superior compared to my earlier setup. I m convinced about Schiit Mimby, for my main listening, to get that extra resolution i will upgrade to Gumby ($1250). Yggy ($2300) is too expensive for my needs.

Back to topic, to get excited about MQA (if), I m looking into Pro-Ject S2 DAC or Mytek Brooklyn (used) or Node2 (+Roon Ready).

You won’t be disappointed with Gumby. Excellent DAC.

1 Like

I agree with you @rrwwss52!

Considering DAC in this age, is equivalent to LP Player Pin/Cartridge, I dont mind havining two DACs/DAC Roll (love writing “DAC roll” similar to “Tube roll” :smile: ) . Schiit Mimby will get upgraded to Gumby. I wanted to test the multi-bit claim by Schiit and now i m convinced.

For MQA, depending on how good or practical it becomes, Dont mind new/used MQA DACs (budgeted ones :wink: ).

1 Like

Project-S2 Manual says that ESS9038Q2M is used.

The ESS9038PRO chip is different and comes in 2 versions - 2 and 8 channel. I’m not sure but I think that some of the more expensive DACs using the PRO chip use the one with 8 channels and parallel 4 for stereo.

Whether this makes any difference to sound quality I’ve no idea! Oppo Sonica uses PRO chip - shame that, unlike their BDP products, it won’t talk directly to Roon.

yes i think W4S uses the 8 channel (no idea). Hence the cost.

either way i m set with multi-bit r2r designs.

I have two DACs as well. The Gumby (with a tube buffer in the signal chain) and one for MQA tracks (Meridian Prime Headphone amp/DAC). The MQA tracks I listen to are from Tidal. The Gumby gets most of the work. Just ordered an Schiit Eitr to upgrade to Gen 5 USB. Could have done the straight Gen 5 upgrade on the Gumby, but wanted the flexibilty to move the Eitr around to other components.

@JnanM

2 Likes

You prefer it only for redbook? What about hi res and . . . God forbid, lossy. :slight_smile:

It sticks in my head that there have been negatives about Eitr, on this forum.

1 Like