Roon recommendations based on entire listening history

Based on my listening habits of local files and Tidal songs - where can I get individual recommendations? Or maybe also a personalized Roon radio program?

1 Like

@support Hopefully you know :slight_smile:

Hey @Markus_Hubner,

Great question! And thanks for following up on your initial post. It looks like you are actually referring to Roon Radio, a feature in Roon that when active, will play similar tracks to the ones you’ve been listening to, regardless of their source (local files or TIDAL). We discuss it in and out here:

Cheers :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks Rebeka! There is a very important demanded feature in the FAQ section „Can I set quality requirements for Roon Radio selections?“
Hasn’t this still been addressed with Roon 1.8?

So trying to answer my initial question, Roon with Valence provides some New Releases suggestions as well as Roon Radio so far.

Though there is a big difference to what I have in mind. Currently it says:
„You can choose to start Roon Radio any time by navigating to an Artist, Album, or Track and choosing the Roon Radio playback option. Roon Radio uses this initial selection to queue up similar tracks.“
This is also nice to have based on a certain queue though what I was referring to isn’t it possible that Roon Radio plays suggested songs based on my complete listening history so far. With machine learning it must be able to collect a ton of data to provide great matches.

2 Likes

Hey @Markus_Hubner,

I appreciate the clarification, as I have missed your point initially :sweat_smile: .

This definitely makes a great feature request, so I’ve moved this post in that category. That’s where our product team looks for feedback from our users and everyone else can join in and share their interest as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there any feedback from the product team also? @mike

That’s the main feature that Spotify has got going for it. I LOVED the “discover weekly” they have because it allowed me to – well, discover new music weekly. Now that I’m using Roon with Tidal, I suppose using Valence to suggest new music for me, based on my interests, shouldn’t be too difficult.

It doesn’t need to be weekly, if Spotify has patented that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am sure @danny can give us an insight into this. Even think it should be able to provide a constant stream of personalized recommendations based on ones entire listening history.

This is what “new releases for you” does – its not only the latest stuff, but it takes into account what you’ve spent time with, and stop telling you about it… think of it as finding brand new stuff for you, as well as filling gaps from recent stuff you missed.

I get it, it’s like Spotify‘s release radar (and the effects are interesting Wieso man den Release Radar nicht unterschätzen sollte - iGroove | Push Your Music)

Though what is related to personal discovery / recommendation topic Roon claims (and that also goes hand in hand with the expectations of personal recommendations that Roon is trying to be known for) is not just a release radar or recommendations based on an album etc (this is also a nice feature to say) but really to get the whole idea for song recommendations based on their entire interactions / listening history with Roon (library and Tidal/Qobuz).

That’s actually exactly what Roon Radio’s expected behavior is. Including machine learning data etc as well as constant learning by user interactions like thumb up/down etc.

Extending this from the current state of album based etc. and new releases for you - this should be possible to address in the near future?

2 Likes

What’s your take on that?

Roon Radio will continue to play music “based on the songs in the queue”. But why? Shouldn’t it play music based on the songs in the queue and in my library? Shouldn’t it cater to my tastes and not regress to a common denominator among everone who has listened to Aretha Franklin’s version of Bridge over troubled water?

1 Like

I guess many thought so when they heard of personalized recommendations by Roon. Especially as Spotify etc. are also doing it in a holistic way. It‘s a nice feature / add-on to have a recommendation based on an album or queue.
But the far far more important use case and demand is the entire listening history of the user.
Don’t know if @danny is thinking otherwise, but from a user perspective, and having talked with a number of friends in recent weeks about it, it’s really this way.

1 Like

This is indeed how it works. You are just reading too much into the marketing verbiage.

I use Roon Radio all the time, and understand and appreciate how it works. However, I do miss the equivalent of Tidal’s My Mixes, or Spotify’s Discover Weekly.

The Discovery playlists (either as a mix like Spotify, or broken out by Genre like Tidal) meet a slightly different need and use case (than Radio) of being able to see and actively interact with the suggestions. It allows me to easily curate and actively explore the suggestions provided to find new artists or albums I might like. This is different from the passive listening experience that Radio caters to.

Another nuance of this request would be for the suggested playlist to be similar to, but not include music I already listen to - enabling the discovery aspect. Spotify does this well, Tidal not so much (too many repeats), Roon Radio is probably somewhere in the middle

2 Likes

I don’t understand what you’re saying, sorry.

2 Likes

I might be thick, I still don’t see what you guys are saying. Does Roon radio play songs based on my entire listening history?

If yes, why does it mostly play songs I don’t like?

If no, why not?

1 Like

Unfortunately it doesn’t recommend songs based on the entire listening history. That’s actually something that most users expect - like it’s done by Spotify etc.

1 Like

That is indeed what I would expect, not least because of the work that’s been put into Valence. There’s a lot of stuff I don’t like about Spotify, but the possibility to discover new music - or more precisely, other music - that I might enjoy, is a near necessity in an app as intelligent as Roon.

1 Like